[ASC-list] More on the More science in the news petition

Melanie McKenzie melaniemck at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 06:50:05 UTC 2013

In response to some of the commentary about the "more science in the news" petition that I posted today, I'll admit that I was a little sceptical about a petition at first. But I've come around to the idea that organising a mass demonstration of support for more science in the news is worthwhile.

Do science communicators need to write more relevant media releases? Sure. But that doesn't mean Australians can't also ask for more science in the news.

Not persuaded by data that says Australians want to hear more about science? Ok - but maybe you want to hear more about science and want Triple J to know that. Or maybe you don't, but you support those who do.

Not sure what a science news story is? We think asking for more science (of any kind) is a good first step. Refining that coverage is the next.

If you'd like to support this initiative, please sign here:
http://chn.ge/127YakM

And if you'd like to know more about it, please see the website:
http://www.andinscience.com