[ASC-list] VIC Event: Who owns you? Free public forum at Light in Winter festival

Penny Fannin penny_fannin at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 04:18:41 UTC 2013

Who owns you?Free public forum at The Light in Winter festival
Join a free public forum as part of Federation Square's annual winter program, The Light in Winter.
The forum will celebrate the 60th anniversary year of the discovery of DNA - the double helix that is the secret to life. In the wake of the DNA revolution that ensued, we ask - who owns you?
Our panel will discuss how the discovery of the double helix changed science and our understanding of what makes us human, the ethical issues that have arisen as a result of this knowledge, and how the discovery has shaped our lives and its power to shape our future.
Panellists:Drew Berry, scientific animator, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
Professor Doug Hilton, director, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
Dr Alicia Oshlack, bioinformatics researcher, Murdoch Childrens' Research Institute
Professor Loane Skene, medical ethicist, The University of Melbourne
When: Tuesday 18 June 2013Where: Deakin Edge at Federation SquareCost: Free!
Registrations essential. Visit www.wehi.edu.au/news/events/the_light_in_winter/ or email events at wehi.edu.au.
For more information about The Light in Winter: www.fedsquare.com/events/the-light-in-winter/program/