[ASC-list] AIP awards, Women in Physics tour and Brian Cox: physics in June

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Jun 7 06:37:31 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,
We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Rob Robinson, the President of the Australian Institute of Physics. Here's a taste of what's in this month's bulletin - you can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.aip.org.au/info/?q=article/aip-awards-women-physics-tour-and-brian-cox-physics-june-2013>. If you'd like to receive it directly, email Margie on margie at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:margie at scienceinpublic.com.au>.
Kind regards,
Niall
-----------

AIP awards, Women in Physics tour and Brian Cox: physics in June

>From Rob Robinson, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

First, I have great pleasure today (31 May) in announcing two AIP awards: Lloyd Hollenberg from the University of Melbourne is the recipient of the 2012 AIP Walter Boas Medal, which recognises excellence in research in physics in Australia; and David Jamieson, also from the University of Melbourne, is the recipient of the 2012 AIP Outstanding Service to Physics Award. I congratulate them on the outstanding achievements that have led to their awards, of which more below.

Since my last bulletin, the Government has issued its budget-much as expected but perhaps not as bad as some may have feared. Science didn't rate a mention in the Treasurer's budget night speech, but I was glad to hear that funding for research infrastructure had been renewed, with $185.9 million over two years to support national research facilities. I reiterate my previous advice to lobby your local candidates for the upcoming September election, on behalf of science in general and physics in particular.

Another issue which will affect many physicists is the new Defence Export Controls regimen. Over the next two years, new measures will come in for the export of "intangibles" like electronic files, drawings and so on.  On the plus side, the change in legislation should open up more funding and commercial opportunities in the United States for Australian scientists.

Former AIP president Cathy Foley, who sits on the Prime Minister's Science, Engineering and Innovation Council, gave the AIP Executive an update on the Defence Export Controls and the PMSEIC at our May meeting, at the Australian Astronomical Observatory's new home in North Ryde, NSW.

Other key items of discussion were the close-out of the 2012 Congress, preparation for the 2014 Congress in Canberra, with dates now set for 7-11 December 2014, and continued thought as to whether we should bid to host the 2016 pan-Asian physics meeting in conjunction with that year's AIP Congress.

Also, I have a lot of AIP and other activities to report on, including key awards that are currently open for nomination, an Australian tour by the UK physicist and international TV star Brian Cox, the Victorian Branch upcoming talk and tour at ARPANSA (the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency), and an insight into industrial physics from the AIP WA Branch.

Particle physicist Elisabetta Barberio, whose research group was involved in last year's discovery of the Higgs Boson, has been chosen as the 2013 AIP Women in Physics lecturer. In addition to being an outstanding researcher, Elisabetta is committed to promoting physics to a wider audience. I congratulate Elisabetta on her selection, and look forward to a successful series of talks around the country inspiring young women to consider a career in physics.

The ACT Branch is inspiring students to think creatively about physics with their 2013 'Frame Your Physics' competition which requires entrants to produce a short, fun video illustrating a physics concept. And the Seeing Stars SKA Art Prize is calling for submissions of artworks on a physics theme-inspired by the Square Kilometre Array.

The AIP also recognises excellence in physics through a number of awards. The Walter Boas Medal for excellence in research and the Bragg Gold Medal for the most outstanding PhD thesis in physics are now open for nomination. And we are also receiving nominations for the AIP Award for Outstanding Service to Physics in Australia. See the details and closing dates below<http://www.aip.org.au/info/?q=article/aip-awards-women-physics-tour-and-brian-cox-physics-june-2013#_Recognising_outstanding_physicists_1>.

As for myself, I am joining the Board of Science and Technology Australia, and will be representing all the societies in the Physical Sciences Cluster. I'll attend my first meeting in Brisbane at the end of May.

You'll find details of all these, plus many more public events, departmental seminars and conferences listed in the bulletin. If you have a physics event coming up, please submit it to the AIP calendar<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar>, and we'll list it in future bulletins.

You can contact me directly on aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>, and there is a comprehensive list of contact details for the AIP at the end of the bulletin.

Regards,

Rob

Rob Robinson
President, Australian Institute of Physics
aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>

________
Niall Byrne
Creative Director