[ASC-list] the journal Science needs volunteer writers for 'Science in the Classroom'

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 21 02:53:44 UTC 2013

Hello Liz,

Thanks for your contribution to this interesting and valuable discussion.

I agree with all sentiments that have been expressed. It is inappropriate to ask professionals to do things for free when they should be paid. And this happens too often to science communicators. This is different to asking for volunteers to contribute to a non-profit activity.

My take:
I see this as an opportunity for scom students and early-career science communicators to build their portfolio by contributing to a highly reputable journal and am quite happy to promote it with them. It is also an opportunity for some professional scientists in the required fields (geology, etc) to work with science communication students to produce something of value. All would learn from such a collaboration.

Cheers, Nancy

Assoc Prof Nancy Longnecker

Science Communication
School of Animal Biology, M092
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley, WA   6009

ph: 61 8 6488 3926
nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au

www.animals.uwa.edu.au/research/science-communication
www.communicatingscience.org
www.facebook.com/pages/UWA-Science-Communication/139535189461853?ref=hl
skype: nancylongnecker

“Science is part of the reality of living; it is the what, the how, and the why of everything in our experience.” Rachel Carson, 1952.

CRICOS Provider No. 00126G