[ASC-list] the journal Science needs volunteer writers for 'Science in the Classroom'

Ian Woolf iwoolf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 05:02:17 UTC 2013

What about your copyrights as a volunteer? Some non-profits are
demanding that volunteers hand over their copyrights to everything they
create from when they first volunteer, even for writing unconnected to
the non-profit's activities. For example, Sydney Educational
Broadcasting - 2SER require all volunteers to sign a strict 35-page
legally binding agreement that includes signing over all copyright
without limit, in four separate places, such as:

"I understand that copyright in any original work created by me in the
course of my volunteer service resides with 2SER."

This means if you volunteered and then wrote something unconnected, you
would still require a written copyright release from the non-profit,
before you were able to sell your writing, because the non-profit owns
all your copyrights. It would be difficult to find paid work while bound
by such an agreement.

It sounds like some people are being paid from the National Science
Foundation grant, but not those creating curriculum material. It doesn't
sound like amateur hobby work.

The Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) has stated that it will work
collaboratively with the Media Alliance to try to ensure unpaid work
arrangements are fair and legal:
 http://www.alliance.org.au/fair-and-lawful-internships
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/student-placement-and-unpaid-work/pages/volunteering.aspx

Ian