[ASC-list] Book now to secure your seat for Professor Suzanne Cory's address at the National Press Club of Australia, 3 July 2013

Kylie Walker Kylie.Walker at science.org.au
Fri Jun 21 05:42:57 UTC 2013

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE6E75.5E715E00]

The Australian Academy of Science President, Professor Suzanne Cory, will address the National Press Club of Australia, Canberra, 3 July 2013.

Food and water security, natural heritage degradation; skills shortages undermining our productive industries and capacities; our children being overtaken in the smart stakes by other nations; a loss of international engagement: Australia has been competitive and we've done well but we're now coasting. The creation and use of new knowledge is not merely one of a range of choices, but an essential foundation. Our clever country is in danger of devolution.

Imagine instead, from our sound and wealthy position, Australia prepares for the economic, social and environmental challenges of this century by investing in science and education to at least to the levels of our competitors. Real income growth is going to depend largely on productivity growth, which will require improvement in education and innovation performance.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CE6E75.5E715E00]

Professor Cory is the winner of the 2012 Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science and an internationally celebrated cancer researcher. In her 2013 National Press Club address, she will address the big questions from a scientific perspective: What are the consequences of current trends? And how might we act to give future Australia the best possible chance to thrive?

Don't miss this important event addressing the issues facing science in Australia.
Book your seat at http://www.npc.org.au/speakers/professor-suzanne-cory1.html or call the National Press Club on: (02) 6121 2199.  Reception hours are 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.