[ASC-list] the journal Science needs volunteer writers for 'Science in the Classroom'

Cobi Smith cobi.smith at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 21 06:52:36 UTC 2013

Yes, this is related to my concern about access. This project seems to me about reenforcing barriers to public access to research. It is an example of AAAS and its selected experts controlling which of its published research is suitable for public education, reserving the rest behind paywalls for those entitled to their whole sphere of knowledge.

It's their policy.
http://www.aaas.org/gr/docs/12_01_12OSTPpublicaccess.pdf

If they want volunteers to translate their publications for education, they could open up Science to students and amateur or emerging communicators without institutional barriers, allowing people to make their own informed decisions about what science they want to understand more.

The suggestion that a free subscription could be negotiated in exchange for the work reminds me of Tupperware or Avon, the business models for which also rely on tiered models of insider/outsider power.