[ASC-list] 'Publish or perish'

Brendon Cant brendon at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 25 02:53:47 UTC 2013

I'm interested to learn if anyone can point me to some 'pointers' for
'educating' scientists and researchers on why publishing in peer reviewed
international journals is not the be all and end all of communicating their
research. Encouraging scientists to be comfortable with providing details to
non-indexed publications, in other words working with media and
communicating research, including purpose, methodology and findings,
preliminary or otherwise, is the core of communication for science
communicators, but sometimes it can be a battle, as we all know.
Researchers, especially those in universities, have a publish or perish
mentality and the scientific publishing numbers game they frequently insist
on playing is to the detriment of the very people who fund them, often the
taxpayer and, increasingly, private, corporate funders. If there's public
money involved, surely scientists have an obligation to let the wider
community, not just their scientific peers, know what they're up to,
especially if there's public good in the equation.

Brendon Cant

BCA PR Pty Ltd

PO Box 4444

Mosman Park