[ASC-list] 'Publish or perish'

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 25 03:22:04 UTC 2013

Hello Brendon,

I totally get your sentiment and agree about the obligation of scientists to communicate widely. But as someone who has had a promotion application knocked back because of insufficient 'real' publications, I can attest to the pressure academics and other scientists face to publish in peer reviewed journals. The reality is that media work and other science communication might be encouraged by our employers with motherhood statements but counts for sweet *-all in promotion.

This is not the way things should be, but it is a researcher's reality. People who already have a pretty overwhelming work load are generally doing public communication in their 'spare time' which is non-existent for most.

I believe that many scientists these days are enthusiastic about communicating with the public or at least reluctantly aware that they should. But many choose to put their career development first and focus on producing peer-reviewed publications. Hats off to them in some respects. They are more likely to rise to positions of influence earlier and many then choose to give back in a variety of ways. Those who do more public communication may do so for personal reasons and be satisfied that they are doing the right thing but are not generally rewarded for that effort by our current system.

So a word of caution about appearing to 'blame' researchers/ scientists when it is really the system that needs a good shakeup. This issue is not restricted to Australia or Australian universities. It is a global issue.

The down side of 'progress' is that we will be faced with metrics that we may not like. But flawed metrics are probably better than nothing.

Cheers, Nancy

Assoc Prof Nancy Longnecker

Science Communication
School of Animal Biology, M092
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley, WA   6009

ph: 61 8 6488 3926
nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au

www.animals.uwa.edu.au/research/science-communication
www.communicatingscience.org
www.facebook.com/pages/UWA-Science-Communication/139535189461853?ref=hl
skype: nancylongnecker

“Science is part of the reality of living; it is the what, the how, and the why of everything in our experience.” Rachel Carson, 1952.

CRICOS Provider No. 00126G