[ASC-list] 'Publish or perish'

George Aranda george.aranda at deakin.edu.au
Tue Jun 25 04:02:49 UTC 2013

Hi Brendon,

I agree with Nancy in the difficulty of getting scientists to communicate - it's not their fault :). At the recent ScienceRewired conference there was some discussion about scientists who use twitter and observe an increase in citations. One way you can approach scientists would be to advocate social media like twitter, which has been demonstrated to increase citations and then would provide those interested with a justification to use twitter in their own time.

Here is a quick lit search:
http://www.sagepub.com/authors/journal/10ways.sp
http://www.jmir.org/2011/4/e123/
http://blog.ketyov.com/2011/07/role-of-facebook-and-twitter-in.html

I plan to approach the Deakin Faculty of Science about similar things.

Cheers,

George