[ASC-list] We are the same as fruit flies?

Judy Ford dr.judy.ford at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 04:49:34 UTC 2013

Hi Susan,

As a geneticist, I would say that although there are obviously major
differences, a great deal of the research is directly relevant. Critical
genes are retained throughout the whole of the animal kingdom and although
they are modified and often more complex (both the genes themselves and the
controlling systems), basic mechanisms are retained. Not only have we
learnt a great deal about biochemical genetics, mutagenesis and
cytogenetics from flies, they have also taught us a huge amount about
population dynamics ....if only we would heed the data.

And Nancy ....I think it was ether.

Dr Judy Ford