[ASC-list] Examples of creative/interpretive art-science lessons?

Misha Donohoe mishad at me.com
Thu Jun 27 14:38:50 UTC 2013

Hello ASCers!
I would like your help finding examples of creative-arts workshops/classes for adults that focus on a scientific theme.

I am in Canada developing a series of informal learning activities for artistically inclined individuals to learn about science.
These will include dance, drawing, painting, ceramic and music workshops/lessons that are run by myself and a guest scientist.

I know of some wonderful arts-science collaborations (listed below), but I am specifically seeking lesson planning guides, or research around learning outcomes where creative arts have been used to interpret scientific concepts.

Can you think of...
Practical how-to guides or lesson templates?  (for adults)
Research centred on creative arts and interpretive learning?
Institutes or journals publishing papers in this area?
Someone somewhere doing really cool and innovative stuff?
Examples (research or anecdotal) of creative arts being used successfully to teach science.

I would love to know about it!

Thanks,
Misha

Some arts-science collaborations
Institute for Figuring's Coral Reef Project
The Arts Catalyst
Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT), and the International Symposium on Electronic Art
The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology
Wellcome Trust
About My Brain, Brain Art Project
Foundation for Art and Creative Technology (FACT)
Synapse
Dance your PhD
Spontaneous creativity (creative geometry workshop example)

Misha Donohoe
Illustration | Visual & Scientific Communication

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."   -    A. Einstein

Please don't print this email. If it is important to you - and I assume that it is - commit it to memory, write a note in your planner or better yet, visualise its purpose and get a tattoo :-)