[ASC-list] anyone going? Science of Sci Comm II (US, Sep 2013)

Claire Harris claireharris.oz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 06:51:01 UTC 2013

Hello ASCers
Is anyone running a session or attending the Science of Science
Communication II?

The Science of Science Communication II
http://www.nasonline.org/programs/sackler-colloquia/upcoming-colloquia/agenda-science-communication-II.html
September 23-25, 2013, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC

*Overview:  Climate change. . . evolution . . . the obesity crisis ..
.nanotechnology: These are but a few of the scientific topics dominating
the world stage today. Yet discourse surrounding these and other
science-based issues is often overwhelmed by controversy and conflicting
perceptions, hampering understanding and action. The continuing challenges
facing scientists, professional communicators, and the interested public
when it comes to exchanging information about science content has resulted
in a growing area of research—the science of science communication.
 Investigators in this field are delving into such issues as the role of
social networks in how information is disseminated and received; the
formation of beliefs and attitudes leading to decisions and behaviors; and
strategies for communicating science in a charged, politicized environment.*
*
*
*The National Academy of Sciences is hosting its second Sackler colloquium
on this topic to continue the dialogue about science communication.
Building on last year's dynamic and information-packed program, this year's
event will present an update on the state of research on science
communication and its implications for all those striving to engage and
interact with broad publics.*

FYI I found in my old emails the below message about the last one in 2012.

Ta,
Claire

Claire Harris

Co-Vice President, Australian Science Communicators