[ASC-list] Interesting article by Melissa Sweet Croakey blogger

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Mar 1 00:32:35 UTC 2013

The article is by founding ASC member Leigh Dayton, former science writer at the SMH then the Australian.

And yes we all know that the business model for newspapers is broken - Google and others stole the advertising.

But there's a danger if we think that our own blogging, tweeting and facebooking is going to fill the gap.

Firstly there's an urgent need for good, skilled investigative journalism of the kind that Leigh has done many times over the years.

Secondly platforms that are often touted as an alternative, such as The Conversation, are not for the most part independent reporting. The Conversation has done a brilliant job of getting scientists to comment and editorialise. But that's not journalism. It's important but different.

And finally, while we blog, tweet and facebook to the converted, old school media are still reaching millions. Channel Seven News on Sundays after the footie reaches over 700,000 in Melbourne alone. The Herald Sun and the Telegraph jointly reach well over a million people every day. Fairfax probably has about half that reach - but still a decent half a million or so. These are the kinds of numbers that we are nowhere near achieving in new media yet. And radio audiences continue to grow through broadcast and online.

ASC was founded by journalists and communicators and I think we need to explore ways of reengaging with 'old-school science and medical reporters'.

Niall

Niall Byrne

Creative Director
Science in Public