[ASC-list] Interesting article by Melissa Sweet Croakey blogger

Susannah Eliott Susannah at smc.org.au
Fri Mar 1 04:32:30 UTC 2013

Hi  All,
I find myself agreeing with Niall and Will, and not because I'm  garden variety fence sitter. It is an incredibly important issue for communicators and worthy of a session at the next ASC conference I think (that is "is traditional media really dying or just morphing").

There are many who believe that traditional media is indeed in its death throws and that this thing called new (incl social) media is the only way forward. I believe both statements to be misleading. There's no doubt that traditional mass media outlets lost a lot of ground by not embracing new media earlier and not coming to terms with the way technology would revolutionise the way that people get their information. But they are catching up and providing their news and features in a growing number of formats (who watches live television anymore? Quite a few but this will surely decline as more people start to watch programs when and where they want, either through a YouTube Channel or with their favourite TV show App on their iPad - have a look at the Sunrise App to see how things are changing).

When people say they get their information from social media, that's surely true but we need to remember that many of these networks lead their followers to interesting articles, footage and animations in traditional and non-traditional media outlets. There's no real reason to separate out purely online information sources like Lifehacker, TC and Crikey from The Age and The Oz, so the traditional vs new media tag is becoming increasingly less useful.  And it's clear that we are in the midst of a massive merging of social and traditional media, something we all need to be following closely. Anyone who doubts the numbers that the combination of Facebook, Twitter and YouTube when used in tandem can achieve should look at http://www.youtube.com/user/smosh with nearly 8 million subscribers (though I wouldn't bother actually watching the clips unless you want to have your brain numbed).  But it's not news and you'd find it hard to even call it information of any sort.

So the important thing is to make a clear distinction not between new media and traditional media but between information and purely entertainment/psycho material. Niall's right of course that tabloids (in print and new media formats) still reach a huge audience - The HeraldSun is still the biggest with an overall readership of 1.5 million - and commercial TV still has massive audience reach (in 2012 50% of Americans named television as their primary source of information on politics). And yet, ask any 15 year old where they get their information it's more likely to be a YouTube channel and it's likely to be connected to their social media friend circle. So unless the mainstream media can keep abreast of that young growing market, they will lose more and more ground over time.

Folks like Prof Barry Brook who run their own blog site will tell you that their hits/readers go up phenomenally when they are quoted/linked in mainstream media. So there's a strong interplay between social media and traditional media that can work in both directions.

I'll stop the rant here but think it's a rather nuanced picture out there and we should be careful about making generalisations that don't help us in the end. Look forward to hearing other people's thoughts.

Susannah

Dr Susannah Eliott
Chief Executive Officer

Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC)
Street address: The Science Exchange, 55 Exchange Place, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Postal address: PO Box 237, RUNDLE MALL SA 5000
Ph: (08) 7120 8660 | Mob: 0424 676 136 | susannah at smc.org.au | smc.org.au

The Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC) is an independent, not-for-profit service for journalists, working to improve links between the news media and the scientific community. We aim for a better informed society with greater access to evidence-based science. The national centre is supported by a wide variety of sectors with each contribution capped at 10% of total running costs. For a full list of current supporters visit our website.