[ASC-list] Science reporting and social media - show me the numbers

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Mar 4 02:34:13 UTC 2013

Dear Will,

Ok, I was being a bit melodramatic with 'Google stole the advertising'.

How about Fairfax fiddled while all around them new business models appeared.

I agree that social media are immensely powerful at building and sustaining communities of interest:

·         Young scientists - via a host of bloggers and tweeters and news sites – it’s been great for Fresh Science

·         Educated mums - via Mama Mia and mummy bloggers – some powerful conversations about vaccination

·         Science communicators - via you and Rob and Kristen and others

·         Politariat (I think that's a word) via Crikey, Colvinius and others -

·         Health policy – Croaky and others

·         Science Alert claims a large student audience in India and China

Stories are broken in these communities but more often than not they feed off news media.

In time more communities will evolve but it’s still early days.

Social media isn’t reaching geographical audiences in significant numbers yet. ABC 774 reaches hundreds of thousands of Melburnians daily. But their twitter conversation is pretty light – except when the trains aren’t working.

If I want to reach Melbourne – from Werribee to the city to Frankston then I need the news media. If I want to reach a wide demographic across Australia I need news media.

Today, which new media players are reaching the audience in the numbers of old media - in areas we can use...

Will, answer this question and I’ll buy you a beer at the Press Club next time I'm in Canberra.

Two weeks ago we launched a stem cell foundation with a story about turning skin cells to eye cells to understand an incurable form of blindness. Stories ran in the Age, SMH, Herald Sun and a bit of radio.

We particularly wanted to reach adult, general community, tax payers, potential donors etc in Melbourne. Which social media could have got me the let’s say 1 million readers we got in Melbourne.

If you can answer this one we’ll make it lunch…

If I want to reach Australia’s 12,000 or so dairy farmers I’d focus on the Weekly Times, The Country Hour, and Australian Dairy Farmer. Which social media would give me the same reach?

Finally, crack this one and we’ll make it dinner at the Press Club.

Last September we helped launch a study that showed that half the Great Barrier Reef’s coral cover had been lost in the last 27 years. Front page coverage in Australia, wall to wall on ABC including 20 minutes on Lateline. Global pick up via the Times, NYT, Guardian etc. Lots of social media as well.

We wanted to reach a wide Australian public, and inform policy. I reckon we touched a quarter to half the Australian population. Which social media could have achieved this?

Now much of the news coverage would have been read online. My argument is that news reporting still drives most of the reach of science stories into the wider community. Working journalists (not just science journalists) are as important as ever in reaching the people who pay for most Australian science (the taxpayers and voters). The AusSMC has a critical role in this but we can’t just rely on them.

If we think that we can replace news media with our own blogs, podcasts, tweets etc then we run the risk of further alienating ourselves from the people who pay for and most need the outcomes of Australian science.

And that’s why I think we, the ASC, need to do more to reach out to journalists.

But Will, if you can show me the numbers, I’m willing to throw away the Margaret Gee, and the Medianet membership.

Kind regards,

Niall

________

Niall Byrne