[ASC-list] ACT: Is Australia producing too many PhDs? Live 'Big Ideas' panel discussion - March 18th

ASC ACT Branch asccanberra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 02:36:59 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,

Before we start our official promo, we thought we'd give members and ASC
email list readers the chance to RSVP first (link below) as we envisage
this event will be popular and only a limited number of seats are available.

For those interstate, we will tweet updates on the night (hash tag to be
confirmed) and let you know when it will be broadcast on ABC radio.

Official invite below.

Long hours, short-term contracts, uncertain employment, and cutthroat
competition for grants, fellowships and positions. The work may be on
interesting and important issues and the company stimulating, but for many
the reality of a career in research isn’t so rosy.

We invite you to join our panel of experts as they discuss careers in
research and answer the question: Is Australia producing too many PhDs?
<http://inspiringtheact.org.au/event/phds/>

Just last year, the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research
and Tertiary Education commissioned the Australian Council of Learned
Academies to investigate the career pathway for researchers in Australia.
Science communication consultant Toss Gascoigne was asked to conduct the
survey and draft the report, Career support for researchers: Understanding
needs and developing a best practice
approach<http://www.tossgascoigne.com.au/docs/CareerSupportForResearchers.pdf>
 *[62 pages, 997 KB PDF, external link]*, which highlighted job insecurity
as the number one problem facing Australian researchers.

Paul Barclay, the host of ABC Radio National’s Big
Ideas<http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/>
 program, will be facilitating this panel discussion, which will be
recorded live and broadcast at a later date.

Panelists include:

   - Toss Gascoigne – author, Australian Council of Learned Academies
   report, *Career Support for Researchers*
   - Aidan Byrne – CEO, Australian Research Council
   - Marguerite Evans-Galea – Australian Academy of Science, Murdoch
   Children’s Research Institute.
   - Melanie Hand – Dairy Futures Cooperative Research Centre (CRC).

There will also be plenty of time for audience members to ask questions and
join in the discussion. Please RSVP via our link to confirm your seat
today, as spots are limited.

*Time: 530pm-730pm (recording will start at 6pm)*
*When: Monday, March 18th, 2013*
*Where: CSIRO Discovery Centre, North-Science Rd, Acton ACT 2601*
*RSVP: **http://phdsinaustralia.eventbrite.com.au/*<http://phdsinaustralia.eventbrite.com.au/>

Light refreshments and finger food will be provided after the event for you
to continue discussions on this very hot topic.

Please contact asccanberra at gmail.com for more information or further
enquiries.

--
*ASC Canberra Committee*