[ASC-list] Perth: UWA Science Communication Seminar; Friday 22 March

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 18 02:42:05 UTC 2013

Not a straightforward task: Communicating science with an understanding of how biases and attitudes influence pro-environmental behaviour.

The University of Western Australia
Science Communication Seminar Series
________________________________
This Friday Zoe Leviston and Jenny Price from CSIRO will discuss their recent findings regarding people's attitudes and biases towards climate change and recycled wastewater acceptance.

Applying social psychology to science communication and environmental challenges

One of the many conundrums facing science communicators is the increasing disconnection between people's knowledge about science and how they feel about it. As applied social psychologists at the CSIRO, we research the cognitive processes shaping community attitudes and behaviours in response to a range of environmental and natural resource challenges. Part of our job involves focusing on what drives people to react to scientific information in the way they do, beyond mere exposure and scientific literacy.

Findings will be presented from our recent research on people's responses to two scientific issues: climate change, and recycled wastewater for drinking. This research demonstrates: i) how unconscious biases shape perceptions about community beliefs; ii) how social identities and traits effect the way scientific information is understood; and iii) how  information processing routes influence the effectiveness of science communication. We will discuss the role of psychological and social processes in shaping policy acceptance and pro-environmental behaviour, and recommend a few ways of overcoming science communication challenges.

All welcome!
Semester 1 - 2013, Fridays 4 - 5pm, followed by drinks and nibbles.
at the UWA Centre for Learning and Technology; basement of Physics building
<http://blogspot.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13668cc7a87872d08c05184a5&id=6cad2cbd1c&e=d9af47ed8c>

On April 12th, after Easter and Study Break,
Joan Costa will discuss his work as an internationally travelled science photographer whose work has featured in the New York Times and National Geographic magazine among many other publications.