[ASC-list] Sharing ASC events << Phil sent direct, not via ASC list >>

Ian ianw2 at exemail.com.au
Thu Mar 21 23:20:03 UTC 2013

Re. Phil's off-list comments (below):

given limited resources, I think that ASC has to accept reasonable
contribution from as many people as possible and try to channel/multiply
them effectively:  from

* quick notes on the Listserver: e.g. pointing out newsy and interesting
things etc. (complete with typos and oopsies due to speed and no proof
reading),

* official summaries/articles in the monthly Newsletter,

through to

* original ASC productions (as suggested).

My experience is that good editing of original audio/video may take 10 to
100 times as long as the original recording;  i.e. much more than text.

Unedited productions, (i.e. for members only, with appropriate caveats), may
be necessary or else the projects will become too difficult/expensive.

Re. material originated by others:  Uni's are producing podcasts and videos
of talks, TED commissions speakers, ABC makes "Big Ideas", students do
assignments;  YouTube etc. will store almost anything online ...  but often
good content gets poor pre- publicity and insufficient notice afterwards.

I think that ASC'ers should be naturals to better share the "highlighting"
and "indexing" of this other information, (hopefully with minimal workload).

Re. students:  what about encouraging them with awards, and/or cheap/free
membership?

Ian (not Woolf)  ;-)