[ASC-list] Professionalising the ASC - It begins

Lamberts Rod rod.lamberts at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 26 01:57:25 UTC 2013

Greetings fellow ASC-ists,

When I ran for president late last year, the central element of my platform focussed on moving the ASC to become a fully-fledged professional body.

Well, the time has come to start this ball rolling.

As a first step, we will be exploring and drafting a code of ethics (or a 'Charter') which, at least broadly, articulates the characteristics that we as an association agree exemplify what an ASC member should be.

The Executive have discussed and agreed on the best way to take this first step on the path to professionalisation. It will involve extensive, iterative consultation among our members first, after which we will seek feedback more broadly from key external stakeholders who have an interest in, and influence on, the multifaceted undertaking that is science communication.

While I have no doubt this will be a challenging and intricate process, I believe it will mark the beginning of a critical phase in the evolution of not just the ASC, but of the wider science communication landscape in Australia.

The ASC is extremely fortunate that Will Grant agreed to come on board as a Vice President explicitly to take carriage of this professionalisation process. He will soon be announcing how we intend to move forward by explaining the process, and calling for submissions from all interested ASC members.

To appropriately represent the diversity and interests of our members, we need to hear all your ideas, hopes and concerns. It's your association, so I want to encourage  you all to participate!

Stay tuned for the call from Will soon.

Cheers for now,
Rod

Dr Rod Lamberts
National President
Australian Science Communicators
http://www.asc.asn.au/

Deputy Director
Australian National Centre for Public Awareness of Science (CPAS)
http://cpas.anu.edu.au

M: 0412 631 016
T: @rodl