[ASC-list] WA: EXPERT SPEAKER - Three basic ingredients to your child¹s health

Emma Donnelly E.Donnelly at curtin.edu.au
Wed Mar 27 03:29:58 UTC 2013

EXPERT SPEAKER - Three basic ingredients to your child’s health

As parents, our child’s health is one of our highest priorities, but in our fast-paced, technology savvy world, computers, video games, mobile phones and the time spent on these can all impact on a child’s health.

There are three basic ingredients mixed with the time spent on these that can potentially affect your child’s health – sleep, exercise and screen-based media.

Professor Tim Olds, from the University of South Australia, will present a public lecture addressing these three elements of health-related behaviour in children.

Sleep

·      How much sleep kids actually need?

·      Are kids are sleeping less than they used to?

·      What the implications of inadequate sleep and what parents can do about it.

Exercise

·      Are kids really less active than they used to be?

·      Can physical activity can improve academic performance?

Screen-based media

·      How screen time can impact on a child’s health?

·      Is there anything that can be done to control screen time?