[ASC-list] Professionalising the ASC - Call for submissions

Will Grant will.grant at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 27 05:34:28 UTC 2013

Sisters and brothers of the ASC,

Rod emailed you all yesterday to flag the beginning of the discussion process for moving the ASC towards becoming a fully-fledged professional body.

Over the next few months, we'll be conducting a consultation in a number of phases:
1. Calling for your submissions
2. Synthesising your submissions and publicising the results
3. Conducting further internal consultation (perhaps with voting) if necessary
4. Seeking feedback from key external stakeholders
5. Building a final amendment to the constitution / code of conduct to take (subject to legal advice) to the National AGM for final decision making.

I'm emailing now to call for your submissions about this whole shebang, as either individuals, corporates, branches or other.

To submit your opinion, simply write a short document, perhaps answering some (or all, or none) of these questions:
- Do we want to professionalise / build a code of conduct at all?
- What would this be for (post-nominals, prestige, disciplinary implications, public face of the association)?
- What should be in a code of conduct?
- Relevant example organisations we could echo (and why)?
- Key external stakeholders (Inspiring Australia, Australian Academy of Science?) who should be given the opportunity to provide feedback and comment?
- Other issues / considerations we should take into account?
- Other feelings / emotions you'd like to get off your chest now?
- Finally, are you happy for your submission to be made public (this would be either on the ASC website or similar or as an appendix to our synthesis report)? (You can ask for your submission to be public, public anonymously, or private (just to the exec)).

Please email your submission to me (will.grant at anu.edu.au) as a single document (preferably under 1000 words!) by Friday 19th April. Please also cc Rod (rod.lamberts at anu.edu.au) and Kali (office at asc.asn.au) just to make sure we've got it.

If you've written suggestions on ASC professionalising / developing a code of conduct before and would like to re-use them, please send them through to make sure we've got them.

We'll definitely be keeping everyone in the loop as this discussion evolves.

Any questions? Email / call!

All my best wishes and hugs,

Will

Dr Will J Grant
Graduate Studies Convener | Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science
The Australian National University | Physics Link Building, Building 38A | Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
e: will.grant at anu.edu.au | p: +61 2 6125 0241 | f: +61 2 6125 8991
calendar | twitter | skype: WillJ99 | web
Cricos Provider# 00120C