[ASC-list] Social media in the media - go figure!

Ian M. ianmcd85 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 23:05:42 UTC 2013

Found this interesting so thought I'd share,

The 'I *insert profanity here* love science' facebook page has over 4 million likes and been going strong for quite a while now, but some users and the media have only just recently caught on that is administered by a.........woman.

Both her name and picture are in the "about" section plus she has posted multiple pictures of herself over time.

She has recently been interviewed on CBS News in the USA discussing the reaction she has received from followers.

Check it out here - http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50143686n

I had a chuckle to myself when some of the comments said: "I assumed this page was started by a guy because of its name" or "I was more shocked at the fact she had an accent than was a woman."

Can always rely on social media for some entertainment in your morning.

Enjoy
Ian

Dr Ian McDonald
Freelance Science Writer and Presenter