[ASC-list] Perth: UWA Science Communication Friday Seminar: Sharks and sensationalist media - a sad combination

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
Mon May 6 16:11:38 UTC 2013

Sharks and sensationalist media - a sad combination

The University of Western Australia
Science Communication Seminar Series
This Friday Ryan Kempster, Shark Biologist and Director of Support Our Sharks, will talk about the sad plight of our sharks and what facts the public really needs to know.

Giving a voice to sharks by taking a bite out of fiction

If you believe in the sensationalist portrayal of sharks in some media and Hollywood movies then you would probably think twice before going for a swim in the ocean.  However, when you look at the facts, the reality is that shark populations are in trouble in Australia and around the world. Up to 273 million sharks are killed every year to satisfy an insatiable and unsustainable appetite for shark fin soup, a traditional Asian dish thought to signify great wealth and prosperity of those who consume it. In this presentation I will take you through my journey into marine science and how I discovered a passion for protecting sharks. I will also share insights into my shark repellent research at the University of Western Australia and how this complements the work I do with Support Our Sharks, a shark conservation group I founded.

Semester 1 - 2013, Fridays 4 - 5pm
at the UWA Centre for Learning and Technology, basement of Physics building. Enter via ramp between Physics and Geology

followed by drinks and nibbles.

All welcome!

Next Week
Our very own Miriam Sullivan will tell us everything we ever wanted to know about keeping pet fish.