[ASC-list] [Vic] AGM, 4 June 2013

Ian Muchamore ian at imthinking.com.au
Thu May 9 02:17:21 UTC 2013

Please note the rearranged date for this event. We look forward to your participation.

An opportunity to meet ASC National Vice President Dr Will Grant who will lead a discussion ‘Professionalisation & Advocacy: Raising the bar for ASC’.

Tuesday 4 June, 2013
6:30 PM to 8:00 PM
Embiggen Books
197-203 Little Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Australia

RSVP at http://asc-vic-agm-2013.eventbrite.com

There have been skilful and influential science communicators making a name for themselves individually for many years, but lately the greater profession is on people’s radar. Science communication in its own right is finally entrenching itself in the psyche of policy makers and the broader public. In line with this  the ASC as an association is increasingly being invited to participate in policy conversations, and to partner in high-profile science-related events.

It seems we are in a time of expanding opportunities. But new opportunities mean we need to reflect on what science communication has been, what it is, and what it can be. In doing this, it’s crucial that we also reflect on how the ASC fits into this evolving picture, and what we as members need from the association.

We science communicators have been calling for people to listen to us more for a long time. It looks like we are starting to get what we asked for. The questions now is, what do we do with it?
The discussion will be followed by AGM business for ASC Victorian Branch including the election of a Branch Committee for 2013/14.

Further information about committee positions, nominations and proxies on the ASC web site - http://www.asc.asn.au/state-and-national/victoria/agm2013/

We hope you can make it!

Australian Science Communicators - Victorian Branch
http://www.asc.asn.au/state-and-national/victoria/