[ASC-list] Statins proving to be a good debate for the understanding of medical research

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Nov 5 07:34:40 UTC 2013

Good to see this issue appear on the list. Is this a piece of great journalism or a shocking example of poor science communication.

I've not seen the program but the promotion of it, and the nature of the Catalyst defence of the show rang alarm bells for me. It was just too strong. If they'd been more considered - "statins doing good but over-prescribed, reminds us that we still don't know what causes heart attacks etc etc" then I might have bought in. But their 'Today Tonight' style language, " certainly scientific fraud, and in its effect it's organised crime" was a worry.

That was reinforced when I learnt of the leading Australian researchers who refused to participate - a very strong and unusual reaction in Australia.

But Norman Swan's comments seal it for me. He waited, thought about it and responsed, "People will die as a result of the Catalyst program unless people understand at heart what the issues are."

I trust Norman.

Niall

________

Niall Byrne