[ASC-list] Statins proving to be a good debate for the understanding of medical research

Justin Coleman colross at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 5 12:53:25 UTC 2013

As Chris Forbes-Ewan suggested, for those interested in an analysis of the
ABC Catalyst programs on saturated fats and statin (anti-cholesterol)
medication, you couldn't go past reading

https://theconversation.com/viewing-catalysts-cholesterol-programs-through-t
he-sceptometer-19817

[If broken link, same hyperlink is here. ]

Disclaimer: I wrote it!

As a GP, I need to judge lots of evidence about health without necessarily
becoming an expert in the field. I find my best bet is to look at the
information presented through my 'sceptometer'.

In the article and in one of my comments below it, I explain how I applied
this 'healthy scepticism' process to the Catalyst statin debate.

By way of introduction, I have been an ASC member since 2010, but a
relatively passive one: I read posts all the time, but don't post.

In my defence, I have been busy being President of the ASC's cousin
organisation for four years; the Australasian Medical Writers Association.

The ASC aims and ideals about accurate and interesting writing are dear to
my heart-I just apply the same thing to the field of medicine instead.

I have a particular interest in the pitfalls of overtreatment, and blog
<http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/2013/06/23/the-naked-doctor-an-indepth-l
ook-at-the-pitfalls-of-cutting-edge-medicine/>  about this on Croakey.

Cheers

Justin

Dr Justin Coleman MBBS FRACGP MPH

President, Australasian Medical Writers Association

GP, Inala Indigenous Health Service, Brisbane

Senior Lecturer, Griffith University

Blogger, the Naked Doctor
<http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/2013/06/23/the-naked-doctor-an-indepth-l
ook-at-the-pitfalls-of-cutting-edge-medicine/>

Web http://drjustincoleman.com/

Tel +61 433 824931

Email drjustincoleman at tpg.com.au