[ASC-list] Statins and a smidgen of cultural theory, and rhetoric

Susan Kirk skirk at iprimus.com.au
Wed Nov 6 22:31:07 UTC 2013


I think that the reason lots of people are dying from heart disease [fact
check it, the numbers change but will surprise you] is more complicated, and
at its heart is not biology but the management of the health system. Heart
attack symptoms are vague but the advice is clear.  Go to the hospital.
Why?  To safe your life, of course, but I believe the hospital is more
efficient.  Not necessarily in its practice but in its diagnostics.  These
doctors may still refer you to a specialist but it will be a lot quicker.
The facts are if you have severe blockage; you, may/will, die.  Statin or no
statin.  My brother just proved it.   He was lucky he didn't die but it
wasn't because he was taking statins.  He came to statins late in life, like
me, so was the damage done?  Of course it also raises the question of
whether those with low risk should be on them, if they are as life saving as
we are led to belief.

I disagree with you Niall.  I think Dr Swan is using powerful rhetoric in a
biased manner.  People will die if they don't take statins?  Thats a pretty
powerful statement and one I can't honestly see is backed up with the
research.

I'm so grateful for this debate.  It's good to question the establishment.
All of it.  Its making me think. Thoughts about the medical establishment.
A revered profession.  Not many are privileged enough to be able to study
medicine (it's practice anyway)  I believe the OP score precludes many as
does the cost of the education, then the cost of practising. So the people
with this elite education posses power.  Power is, still, knowledge.  To
deny that would be to question our whole understanding of cultural theory.
Not that that would be bad, maybe another post?

So that leads me to comments about the constant attack on credibility how
could those (ill-informed) nutritionists or in the case of the catalyst
report, marketers of other products and nutritionists, know anything. So do
we only believe well-respected doctors of medicine? if that's the case then
which ones?  Why that one and not this one?  Is the reason some refused to
be interviewed because they don't want the aggravation of rocking the boat?
Other vested interests? Vested interests play a key role in a lot of medical
research lets not forget that. So it works both ways. Or what if, worse,
because they have no idea? they just write the scripts, because thats the
gold standard and thats what they were told to do?

Tip to heart foundation piggyback this media immediately!

Good solid reporting by Dr Cole :)

Now off for a stress testŠ

On 7/11/13 6:00 AM, "asc-list-request at lists.asc.asn.au"
<asc-list-request at lists.asc.asn.au> wrote:

> Send ASC-list mailing list submissions to
> asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.asc.asn.au/mailman/listinfo/asc-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> asc-list-request at lists.asc.asn.au
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> asc-list-owner at lists.asc.asn.au
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ASC-list digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re: Statins proving to be a good debate for the understanding
>       of medical research (Chris Forbes-EWan)
>    2. ACT seed grants for National Science Week 2014 now open
>       (A.Nguyen at csiro.au)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:55:45 +1100
> From: "Chris Forbes-EWan" <forbes-ewan at tassie.net.au>
> To: <asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au>
> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Statins proving to be a good debate for the
> understanding of medical research
> Message-ID: <002d01ceda9b$b08782e0$119688a0$@net.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Some ASC members might also be interested in reading Bill Shrapnel's blog
> entry about the Catalyst programs.
> 
>  
> 
> Bill is a prominent, if somewhat controversial nutritionist, whose ideas
> often generate heated discussion on the Nutritionists Network.
> 
>  
> 
> Go to:
> 
>  
> 
> www.scepticalnutritionist.com.au
> 
>  
> 
> Chris Forbes-Ewan
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of
> Justin Coleman
> Sent: Tuesday, 5 November 2013 11:53 PM
> To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Statins proving to be a good debate for the
> understanding of medical research
> 
>  
> 
> As Chris Forbes-Ewan suggested, for those interested in an analysis of the
> ABC Catalyst programs on saturated fats and statin (anti-cholesterol)
> medication, you couldn't go past reading
> 
> https://theconversation.com/viewing-catalysts-cholesterol-programs-through-t
> he-sceptometer-19817
> 
> [If broken link, same hyperlink is here. ]
> 
>  
> 
> Disclaimer: I wrote it!
> 
>  
> 
> As a GP, I need to judge lots of evidence about health without necessarily
> becoming an expert in the field. I find my best bet is to look at the
> information presented through my 'sceptometer'.
> 
>  
> 
> In the article and in one of my comments below it, I explain how I applied
> this 'healthy scepticism' process to the Catalyst statin debate.
> 
>  
> 
> By way of introduction, I have been an ASC member since 2010, but a
> relatively passive one: I read posts all the time, but don't post.
> 
>  
> 
> In my defence, I have been busy being President of the ASC's cousin
> organisation for four years; the Australasian Medical Writers Association.
> 
>  
> 
> The ASC aims and ideals about accurate and interesting writing are dear to
> my heart-I just apply the same thing to the field of medicine instead.
> 
>  
> 
> I have a particular interest in the pitfalls of overtreatment, and blog
> <http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/2013/06/23/the-naked-doctor-an-indepth-l
> ook-at-the-pitfalls-of-cutting-edge-medicine/>  about this on Croakey.
> 
>  
> 
> Cheers
> 
> Justin
> 
>  
> 
> Dr Justin Coleman MBBS FRACGP MPH
> 
> President, Australasian Medical Writers Association
> 
> GP, Inala Indigenous Health Service, Brisbane
> 
> Senior Lecturer, Griffith University
> 
> Blogger, the Naked Doctor
> <http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/2013/06/23/the-naked-doctor-an-indepth-l
> ook-at-the-pitfalls-of-cutting-edge-medicine/>
> 
> Web http://drjustincoleman.com/
> 
> Tel +61 433 824931
> 
> Email drjustincoleman at tpg.com.au
> 
>  
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> <http://lists.asc.asn.au/pipermail/asc-list/attachments/20131106/6b9915a3/atta
> chment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 04:27:09 +0000
> From: <A.Nguyen at csiro.au>
> To: <asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au>
> Subject: [ASC-list] ACT seed grants for National Science Week 2014 now
> open
> Message-ID:
> <761F56793672104FA8D5489F77FA5B544F9BD408 at exmbx05-cdc.nexus.csiro.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Dear ASCers
> 
> The ACT National Science Week Coordinating Committee is offering seed grants
> of between $500 - $2000 (incl. GST) to support science engagement events,
> programs and activities conducted between 1 July and 31 October 2014. There is
> a total of $10,000 available in this round. We are after proposals that will
> attract new audiences, and actively engage people in NatSciWk activities.
> 
> To apply, complete and submit the online application
> form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1hqwiXwhMBrSSnTYqXIfAjEic5e11t4jJ0IN2M3Iv
> s-I/viewform> before 5pm AEST, Friday 13 December 2013. Applicants will be
> notified of their application's outcome via email before Christmas.
> 
> Please circulate this information to anyone who may be interested, or who you
> think should apply.
> 
> For enquiries, please email me on a.nguyen at csiro.au<mailto:a.nguyen at csiro.au>
> or call 02 6246 5432.
> 
> Regards
> Anh
> 
> Anh Nguyen
> Treasurer and Secretary
> ACT National Science Week Coordinating Committee
> 02 6246 5432 / 0477 327 132
> North Science Rd, Acton ACT 2601 | GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> <http://lists.asc.asn.au/pipermail/asc-list/attachments/20131106/187db5c2/atta
> chment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ASC-list mailing list
> list at asc.asn.au
> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=115
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of ASC-list Digest, Vol 108, Issue 5
> ****************************************






More information about the ASC-list mailing list