[ASC-list] Science, or Persuasion? (was: [ASC-media] New research project to produce salinity tolerant crops)

Charles Willock charlesw at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 13 16:08:58 UTC 2013

Hi Amanda/All,

Amanda:  This isn't an attack on your integrity nor your writing style
but your media release yesterday gives yet another example of what seems
to be an unresolved problem for the ASC - that of "corporate" rather
than science communication.

All:  I guess the obvious question is:

  Is this a GM project, or a non-GM project?  (Afterall, The GRDC/
  Monsanto seem to be putting a substantial amount of money into it.)

>From the point of view of communication of science there seems to
be a difference between research into the science of plants (for
example understanding their genetic make-up - and using that
understanding to grow better crops) and "corporate" science in
which the knowledge is used to genetically modify crops and market
them as fast as you can.

So to the issue of ASC communication:

The language used in each case is different.  Normally, if one is
looking at "corporate science" media releases, the name of the
corporation features prominently - as does the name of the technology.
However, where the name of the corporation is problematic (eg Monsanto)
that needs to be elided.  Likewise if the techology (GM) is somewhat
controversial, then best to conceal that too ... and talk in terms
of opportunities and product attributes rather than techologies.  This
is one means of shifting that particular Overton window for the public
- but it is not necessarily about science - often it is about persuasion
and sometimes about manipulation.  Is it really appropriate for the
ASC to host that sort of communication?

We have seen with the recent Catalyst issue the problems that can arise
when money driven opinions seem to decide policy - or for that matter
when they question it.

Is it more appropriate that Australian Science Communicators continue
to communicate science in an open scientific way or, if there is a
demand for it, would it be more appropriate for ASC to create another,
separate, organisation which deals with PR?  (Some kind of self-selected
accuracy in labelling I guess.)

Charlesw