[ASC-list] Science, or Persuasion? (was: [ASC-media] New research project to produce salinity tolerant crops)

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 14 01:46:05 UTC 2013

Well put, Niall.

If we took away all Australian science that was supported by 'industry'
(all RDC-funded research, all ARC-linkage projects, all directly funded
research, etc), there wouldn't be much left for ASC to work with.

In fact I thought a reasonably well accepted aim of modern research was to
involve end users (frequently 'industry') in early stages of research in
order to improve relevance and uptake. Transparent disclaimers are
appropriate, as were included in Amanda's media release.

ASC used to have a separate list for media releases and this one is meant
more for discussion. I've lost track whether that's still the case.

Cheers, Nancy

Professor Nancy Longnecker
Science Communication
School of Animal Biology, M092