[ASC-list] Science, or Persuasion? (was: [ASC-media] New research project to produce salinity tolerant crops)

Lamberts Rod rod.lamberts at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 14 01:58:23 UTC 2013

I have to agree with Niall on this.

I’m not at all convinced by arguments that feature variations of the default setting: ‘corporate = evil’, nor would I favour censoring comm’s based on a proscriptive set of values about the subjective worthiness of organisations involved in the science.

As for spin, PR, polemic, etc., such communiqués still frequently represent examples of science communication worth sharing, considering and discussing among interests folks. The fact they may have dodgy science or represent motivations with which we are uncomfortable seems to me even more of a reason to share, discuss, and perhaps expose. And anyway, I suspect that ASC members are well and truly capable of recognising science-related spin, PR or polemic.

On 14 Nov 2013, at 12:32 pm, Niall Byrne <niall at scienceinpublic.com.au> wrote:

> I don't see any problem with Amanda's media release.
>
> She says in the first line that the work is funded by the Grains Research and Development Corporation. That means roughly 50% government money and 50% grain farmer funding through their levy funds.
>
> And the Centre itself is co-funded by the ARC, the GRDC with support from the South Australian government.
>
> She describes this as a project to identify how bread wheat and barley can tolerate saline soils. The results of that could be applied via conventional breeding, modification of wheat genes or insertion of genes from elsewhere, or in all sorts of other ways.
>
> The release is clear and transparent.
>
> I do have a problem with Charles' idea that as soon as business is involved it's not science. I don't think I'd want to be part of an ASC that worked the way he's suggesting.
>
> Niall
> ________
>
> Niall Byrne
>
> Science in Public
> 0417 131 977, niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
> Twitter scienceinpublic
> Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au

Dr RG Lamberts

Deputy Director
Australian National Centre for Public Awareness of Science (CPAS)
A Centre for the National Commission of UNESCO

Office G10
Physics Link Building (#38a)
College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200

P: +61 2 6125 0747
F: +61 2 6125 8991