[ASC-list] Where's ASC headed? Was science or persuasion

Jess Tyler jessyorta at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 23:48:19 UTC 2013

I'll bite too.

AS a founding member and past Exec member, I"ve seen ASC go through many,
many iterations of how it presents to the world. Websites, newsletters,
ideas for people's pet projects, ideas for great political change, ideas
and projects that advance our cause. It all comes and goes in the natural
cycle of life in a non-professional volunteer industry representative group.

I've also seen a lot of people not turn up to events or give feedback. Me
included. I've seen states work so hard on initiatives that flop through
lack of interest. I coordinated here in Tasmania for 14 years and tried
every thing I could think of to engage members and I ended up stepping
aside because I was exhausted from the effort for no gain and with little
support.

I've also seen a lot of people complain but not do anything or volunteer
anything.

ASC constantly asks what members want.

And many of us do put up project proposals that don't get acted upon, but
this is life. Because it is a voluntary group, with scant resources, and as
usual, only the solid few have the energy and drive outside their day jobs
to put effort in on a consistent basis.

I have my times of loving/hating ASC, but it has never failed to strive for
its objectives, and it is the only group in Australia with a charter to
advance the profession of science communication in society. I will always
support its existence, even though I don't always support individual
tactics. This is part of a growing and developing organisation.

I would happily pay double my membership fee if that meant equipping the
nat exec with the resources it needs to reach to the next level. Hell, I'd
even triple it. This is my profession and I want to belong to a group of
people who are 'my' people.

If you don't like the ASC-media list, or SCOPE, don't subscribe to it - we
are a democracy - and see it for what it is: a posting list for media items
to whoever wants to look.

If you want to communicate about communicating - go ahead!

But please don't bag out the organisation and the people who work so hard.

Jess Tyler
SciBiz Media & Communications
ASC Founding Member #71

Jess Tyler