[ASC-list] Where's ASC headed? Was science or persuasion

Pete Wheeler pete.wheeler at uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 14 23:54:36 UTC 2013

Well said Ian. I too think the Newsletter is going very well and I'd be very interested to hear the feedback of others on the list. I have found myself reading almost every article each time it lands in my inbox.

Like the ACT committee, the WA committee is made up of passionate people giving what time and energy they can to help design and deliver events that cater for our members. As for the ASC exec, having been Treasurer for the past 6 months or so, I'm very impressed by the commitment and level of activity I've encountered, but I can see that while there's lots of things happening behind the scenes, this can go unseen by the rest of the association (especially if you're not reading the Presidents update) until things are suitably well progressed to be let out into the open.

At the end of the day the ASC is a relatively small association (~450 members) with a small executive team trying to do a lot in their spare time. I would encourage any members who want to play a part in brining about the new era of ASC to let the executive know. There's plenty of work to go around I assure you. Right now the conference, a major affair, is dominating the bandwidth of most of the executive, but even while this is happening we're trying to organise the AGM, get branches to report a little on their activities, deal with some very important matters relating to our Not For Profit and tax status and get all our ducks in a row to make sure that the ASC continues to grow, evolve and flourish in the years to come. This all takes time, especially when most of those doing this work are volunteers trying to get things done in between making ends meet.

Regards
Pete

Pete Wheeler
Manager, Outreach & Education
Ph: +61 8 6488 7758
Ph: +61 423 98 2018
ICRAR: Discovering the hidden Universe through radio astronomy
<http://www.icrar.org/>
<http://www.icrar.org/><http://www.icrar.org/>[cid:3ABD6116-74F0-4C8F-8A15-BBCA9CB83CB9 at ivec.org]<http://www.icrar.org/><http://www.icrar.org/><http://www.icrar.org/>
<http://www.icrar.org/>www.icrar.org<http://www.icrar.org/> | Subscribe to ICRAR's eNewsletter<http://www.icrar.org/#subscribe> | ICRAR on Twitter<http://twitter.com/icrar> | ICRAR on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICRAR/199692286227>