[ASC-list] Where's ASC headed? Was science or persuasion

Mobile Science Education info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
Fri Nov 15 00:31:53 UTC 2013

As a hard working science communicator myself, I'm wary of even a suggestion
that hard work can shield a person from criticism. But that aside, ASC seems
to have a pretty nasty chicken and egg problem: you need more members in
order to have the funds to provide the resources and activities that would
be needed in order to attract more members.

I do wonder if part of the problem is simply that ASC as a whole simply
isn't very clear about its purpose. At least in a professional association
of doctors or lawyers, everyone in the association agrees about what a
doctor or lawyer is. Science Communication seems to be a very vague grab-bag
of notions; is it a science journalist, a media advisor, someone who works
in the media department of an industry, a Doctor Karl, a Questacon Science
Circus graduate, a small science-education-support business owner, a
free-lance writer, a member of a grants steering committee, etc, etc, etc.
Please don't reply to say that it's all of those things, because at ASC it
clearly is not; my own field is one that is either ignored or condescended
to.

Having said that, I still like the idea of an association of people
passionate about communicating science, and will happily pay my membership
fee (currently overdue, must get to that.) but I don't know that I'd pay
more unless it became clearer exactly what I was paying for.

It seems that the majority of the time and energy resources available go to
the annual conference. Is anyone questioning whether this is the best use of
our very limited resources? It would seem that an expensive conference that
the majority of members can't get to, that accomplishes little of concrete
value (saying that we need to establish best practice models does nothing to
help establish best practice models), and uses the lion's share of our
resources, ought to be questioned quite closely.

So, having lit that fuse, I'll now return to lurking and getting my actual
work done.

Lee Harrison

Mobile Science Education

0430 588 757 or (08) 8395 9586