[ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons

Mobile Science Education info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
Fri Nov 15 04:37:00 UTC 2013

So the 2007 conference isn't really indicative of an ASC conference.

The money is only part of it, though. Even if the money weren't such an
issue, it still takes the majority of the time made available by staff and
volunteers; time used to benefit only a small minority of members who can
afford the time and expense of the conference. If so much time, risk, effort
and expense is benefiting only the minority then I would say priorities have
been misplaced.

I would also question Nancy's assertion that "the biennial gathering of
science communicators for a face to face meeting is crucial". Why is it
crucial? Nothing on the posted list of Top 10 Reasons requires one. I agree
that a decent national conference would be a good goal to work toward, but I
would suggest that it's a goal that belongs to the larger organisation that
ASC could be in the future. In the meantime, strengthen the base by focusing
efforts at the local chapters and online. Make ASC such an attractive
association that the eventual membership roll justifies the conference.

I would also second Rob's call to reconsider Julian's proposed Code of
Ethics, or anyone else's proposals for that matter.

Lee Harrison
Mobile Science Education

0430 588 757 or (08) 8395 9586
info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au