[ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Nov 15 04:55:41 UTC 2013

I disagree.

The conference is potentially incredibly powerful. I'd argue that as ASC grows it should become an annual conference. Many smaller organisations do so successfully including the medical writers.

It's where we can engage with science leaders for example for the coming ASC conference we'll have the opportunity to grill the head of the ARC and hopefully of the NHMRC and CSIRO on their priorities in science communication.

It's where we can engage with some of the best practice in the game.

It's where we can engage with other groups - for example the AusSMC and RIAus have often arranged for their board meetings to coincide with ASC conferences. And that's led to past and present SMH editors, Channel Nine news directors and others sharing their perspectives with us.

It broadens our horizons.

It enables collaborations. Three of our past conferences have been collaborations and I think our next one is a collaboration with SCANZ.

Several of the conferences have stood as milestones in science communication and I expect they will continue to do so.

Niall
________

Niall Byrne

Science in Public