[ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed ... Code of ethics

Rob Morrison rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Fri Nov 15 05:05:56 UTC 2013

Julian is quite correct in his references to his work on a code of ethics. The executive has (or, rather, several executives have), over the years, produced or nearly produced this code, as well as other guidelines and similar things. I once prepared some guidelines for young Science communicators about how to put stuff on line, and a protocol for email distribution.  Both of these were on the ASC website for years, but would by now have been overtaken by technology and other changes.

Julian was not so fortunate. His was a good list, but in the nature of these things, discussion was protracted and when that extends over a year, there is always the chance that a new Executive comes in and loses track of what the past one has done. Things then get overtaken by new issues. From memory, this happened to Julian's suggestions, It also happened to a lot of work i had done on ASC approval and endorsement for short training programs, and it may have happened to others as well.

It is perhaps in the nature of an association like ASC that this happens, especially with volunteers all pressed for time, but it can mean that those who are prepared to put in a lot of work on something feel that they have wasted their time, and we are then less likely to have them prepared to act again.

I suggest Julian be invited to put his suggestions forward again (I am sure he still has them because he produced them on request for a previous exec)  and we decide to deal with them one way or another within a stated time frame. It will be too close to the AGM to deal with them this year, but they could be placed as an AGM item that we ask the incoming Committee to deal in one definitive way or another  within 6 months.

The Exec list is always too long to get through, but this would give this issue a high priority which, in fairness to Julian, it should by now have.

Dr Rob Morrison
rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Phone: (08) 8339 3790