[ASC-list] Top 10 Reasons You Should Join Australian Science Communicators

Claire Harris claireharris.oz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 07:20:33 UTC 2013

Thanks Rob
That is very true. When I talk to people about ASC and ask them why they
are involved, it generally boils down to relationships and connections with
people.

I myself have been inspired by many ASCers over the years including Jenni
Metcalfe, Tim Thwaites, Jesse Shore, Jo Savill, Liz Yuncken, Corinna Lange,
Joan Leach, Sue Stocklmayer, David Ellyard, Helen Sim, Sarah Lau, Barbie
McKaige... the list really does go on!

Having a connection with individuals I have met in person (even years
ago!!), but also others through the list (and wider network eg. #onsci), is
probably one of the reasons I've stayed in this line of work - if it wasn't
for the sci comm network I reckon I would have been off doing something
else.

Sure, nothing is perfect, but it's been very worthwhile for me (clearly it
has had to be for me and many others who contribute time volunteering,
contributing to the web, Scope, list etc.!).

We've tried to capture some benefits here: http://www.asc.asn.au/membership

Cheers
Claire

Claire Harris

A/g President, Australian Science Communicators

ASC2014 Conference Organising and Program Committees

http://www.asc.asn.au/