[ASC-list] Top 10 Reasons You Should Join Australian Science Communicators

Rob Morrison rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Fri Nov 15 07:38:29 UTC 2013

Thanks for that. Yes, I have had help from some of those sources, too. In more 'stable' professions, mentoring is often extended by the senior to the junior, and that goes on with us in ASC, but science communication is diverse, which means that mentoring is often extended 'sideways' irrespective of age as people take on very different roles (teaching>broadcasting; writing>filming etc).

It is also true that mentoring in our field is frequently extended by the younger to the older, as is often the case with social media, website design and newer technologies (digital video and audio techniques).

It would not be unique to science communication, but our profession is extraordinarily diverse, so i think that we would see more of this than most.

If that is so, I think 'mentoring' becomes a bit stronger than 'networking' and 'professional exchange', which are a bit passive. In my experience, the mentoring within ASC has been very generous and helpful to many who were trying to find their feet in a new direction. It is something that ASC can be proud of.

Dr Rob Morrison
rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Phone: (08) 8339 3790