[ASC-list] ASC-list Digest, Vol 108, Issue 44

Leanne leannem at netspace.net.au
Fri Nov 15 14:28:10 UTC 2013


Hello...
I don't often chime in on ASC discussions although the content is always of most interest.
For the past 30 years my main career has been medical imaging, and of late i've been fortunate to practice my passion - science and health writing.
For most of the part 30 years I've witnessed selfless teaching  from the medical imaging profession worthy of much praise and I've reinvested where I can.
That's what builds a profession. A willingness to learn from those before under the understanding you'll return the favour to those who follow.
I've much pride in saying that for the medical imaging profession, no one expects or receives funding to attend conferences irrespective of whether you present or just attend.  
The willingness to guide those who follow to deliver the best that they can is just reward.
The day that I decide not to reinvest a small percentage of my earnings into helping my profession will decide for me it's time to retire.
Leanne McKnoulty
IMPACT Communication 

On 15/11/2013, at 11:00 PM, asc-list-request at lists.asc.asn.au wrote:

> Send ASC-list mailing list submissions to
> 	asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.asc.asn.au/mailman/listinfo/asc-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	asc-list-request at lists.asc.asn.au
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	asc-list-owner at lists.asc.asn.au
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ASC-list digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: ASC conference (Mobile Science Education)
>   2. Re: Top 10 Reasons You Should Join Australian	Science
>      Communicators (Mobile Science Education)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:13:30 +1030
> From: "Mobile Science Education" <info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au>
> To: "'Susan Kirk'" <skirk at iprimus.com.au>,	<asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au>
> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] ASC conference
> Message-ID:
> 	<002901cee1d6$63a65860$2af30920$@mobilescienceeducation.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="windows-1256"
> 
> Is there a facebook-style 'like' button, or something? ;-) 
> 
> Lee Harrison
> Mobile Science Education
> ?
> 0430 588 757 or (08) 8395 9586
> info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
> www.mobilescienceeducation.com.au
> PO Box 556, Ingle Farm, SA 5098
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Susan Kirk [mailto:skirk at iprimus.com.au] 
> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 5:47 PM
> To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au; info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
> Cc: Niall Byrne
> Subject: ASC conference
> 
> I agree with Lee. Lets strengthen our base.  I wasn't going to put this to
> the list but now I think its appropriate. To put it in context it happened a
> while back before this discussion.
> 
> I submitted a proposal for a workshop to the conference committee for the
> ASC conference, until, I discovered that I would be expected to pay for that
> privilege.  OK not completely I think there is $60 off the registration fees
> for presenters.  Anyway I withdrew my proposal.  I told Kali of my concerns
> and she suggested that I also take the discussion to the list to get an
> opinion on 'why people take the time to put on a session at the conference.'
> 
> Now I don't really need an answer to that question because I can second
> guess most of the reasons.  However, if there is a reason that is not
> outlined below then of course I'm very eager to know it.
> 
> To place the discussion in context my main question was why are presenters
> being asked to donate their time and not being given something in return ie
> at least free entrance to the event.  Kali mentioned points about
> professional development/ career prospects etc and giving back to the
> community etc.
> 
> My responses.   I appreciate the concept of giving to the community.  I?m
> more than willing to donate my time ?free of charge? in an effort to
> encourage and mentor others, and have done this many many times over the
> course of my career.  BUT: I don?t believe I should be charged for the
> privilege.
> 
> As a freelance journalist I don?t have a need to further my career by doing
> workshops and networking while beneficial is not a motive for me.  I do
> understand if this is of benefit to others and why others may do this, I
> still don?t agree with it, but that?s their choice.  My motive, in all
> honesty, was based on a win-win negotiation.  I give the ASC  many hours of
> my time and they give me free entrance to the conference.  I still haven?t
> received an adequate reply as to why this is not the case?  Call me selfish
> but even in this situation I still think the scales are slightly tipped and
> not in my favour.  Should we be undervaluing our members time this way?
> 
> Kali mentioned the lack of sponsorship dollars.  I really don't know much
> about the industry from this viewpoint so I can't comment on this.  She went
> on to say that the conference rarely breaks even.  To this I say  if the
> conference event is not  breaking even, then the ASC may need to consider
> how or why it is running this event? If its based on a premise that it will
> only be supported in kind by its members; well that's only going to work if
> we are thousands strong.  And again, that's not really in kind.
> 
> If the ASC wants to become more  ?professional? then it needs to put its
> members first and, in my mind, that doesn?t mean devaluing their work.  In
> my experience with non profit organisations and memberships like ASC they
> never truly become successful until they stop ?using up? volunteers and get
> motivated to become financially viable.
> 
> Again all of this is happening in a vacuum.  You all know my gripe about
> that.   It?s your membership what say yee other ASC members??  Should those
> who donate their time conducting workshops be at least given free entrance
> to the conference.  Oh oh I forgot to say imagine if I was interstate, so
> the ASC would expect me to donate my time; pay for my ticket; and
> accommodation and pay to attend the conference cmon....
> 
> S
> 
> On 15/11/13 8:50 PM, "asc-list-request at lists.asc.asn.au"
> <asc-list-request at lists.asc.asn.au> wrote:
> 
>> Send ASC-list mailing list submissions to asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> 
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit 
>> http://lists.asc.asn.au/mailman/listinfo/asc-list
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to 
>> asc-list-request at lists.asc.asn.au
>> 
>> You can reach the person managing the list at 
>> asc-list-owner at lists.asc.asn.au
>> 
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
>> than "Re: Contents of ASC-list digest..."
>> 
>> 
>> Today's Topics:
>> 
>>   1. Re: Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>>      (Mobile Science Education)
>>   2. Re: Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons (Niall Byrne)
>>   3. Re: Where is the ASC headed ... Code of ethics (Rob Morrison)
>>   4. Re: Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>>      (Mobile Science Education)
>> 
>> 
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 15:07:00 +1030
>> From: "Mobile Science Education" <info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au>
>> To: "'Niall Byrne'" <niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>, "'Lisa Bailey'"
>> <LBailey at riaus.org.au>, <asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au>
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> Message-ID:
>> <00d601cee1bc$54022110$fc066330$@mobilescienceeducation.com.au>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>> 
>> So the 2007 conference isn't really indicative of an ASC conference.
>> 
>> The money is only part of it, though. Even if the money weren't such 
>> an issue, it still takes the majority of the time made available by 
>> staff and volunteers; time used to benefit only a small minority of 
>> members who can afford the time and expense of the conference. If so 
>> much time, risk, effort and expense is benefiting only the minority 
>> then I would say priorities have been misplaced.
>> 
>> I would also question Nancy's assertion that "the biennial gathering 
>> of science communicators for a face to face meeting is crucial". Why 
>> is it crucial? Nothing on the posted list of Top 10 Reasons requires 
>> one. I agree that a decent national conference would be a good goal to 
>> work toward, but I would suggest that it's a goal that belongs to the 
>> larger organisation that ASC could be in the future. In the meantime, 
>> strengthen the base by focusing efforts at the local chapters and 
>> online. Make ASC such an attractive association that the eventual
> membership roll justifies the conference.
>> 
>> I would also second Rob's call to reconsider Julian's proposed Code of 
>> Ethics, or anyone else's proposals for that matter.
>> 
>> Lee Harrison
>> Mobile Science Education
>> ?
>> 0430 588 757 or (08) 8395 9586
>> info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
>> www.mobilescienceeducation.com.au
>> PO Box 556, Ingle Farm, SA 5098
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of 
>> Niall Byrne
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 1:46 PM
>> To: Lisa Bailey; asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> The 2007 conference was held jointly with AMWA and the World 
>> Federation of Science Journalists and attracted 620 delegates. There 
>> were a few other spin out activities.
>> 
>> There's potential for ASC to do similar things in the future with 
>> PCST, WFSJ, and others. Of course the first ASC conference was held 
>> with the PCST in 1996.
>> 
>> However, the 2007 conference was also a large undertaking with a total 
>> budget in excess of $1.2 million. Some of us involved in it took some 
>> big personal financial risks for which we were compensated when the 
>> dollars came in post-event. Many others put in a great deal of time.
>> 
>> Niall
>> 
>> ________
>> 
>> Niall Byrne
>> ?
>> Science in Public
>> 0417 131 977, niall at scienceinpublic.com.au Twitter scienceinpublic 
>> Full contact details at?www.scienceinpublic.com.au
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of 
>> Lisa Bailey
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 1:53 PM
>> To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> The 2007 conference did co-incide with a much larger international 
>> World Conference of Science Journalists didn't it?  Might explain why 
>> there was a bigger drawcard that year.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=11
>> 5
>> _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=11
>> 5
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 04:55:41 +0000
>> From: Niall Byrne <niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>
>> To: Mobile Science Education <info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au>,
>> "'Lisa Bailey'" <LBailey at riaus.org.au>, "asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au"
>> <asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au>
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> Message-ID:
>> <252D7BC7826F794FBE6BC799874B06B4657FB5DF at MBX021-E3-NJ-2.exch021.domai
>> n.local>
>> 
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>> 
>> I disagree. 
>> 
>> The conference is potentially incredibly powerful. I'd argue that as 
>> ASC grows it should become an annual conference. Many smaller 
>> organisations do so successfully including the medical writers.
>> 
>> It's where we can engage with science leaders for example for the 
>> coming ASC conference we'll have the opportunity to grill the head of 
>> the ARC and hopefully of the NHMRC and CSIRO on their priorities in
> science communication.
>> 
>> It's where we can engage with some of the best practice in the game.
>> 
>> It's where we can engage with other groups - for example the AusSMC 
>> and RIAus have often arranged for their board meetings to coincide with
> ASC conferences.
>> And that's led to past and present SMH editors, Channel Nine news 
>> directors and others sharing their perspectives with us.
>> 
>> It broadens our horizons.
>> 
>> It enables collaborations. Three of our past conferences have been 
>> collaborations and I think our next one is a collaboration with SCANZ.
>> 
>> Several of the conferences have stood as milestones in science 
>> communication and I expect they will continue to do so.
>> 
>> Niall
>> ________
>> 
>> Niall Byrne
>> ?
>> Science in Public????
>> 0417 131 977, niall at scienceinpublic.com.au Twitter scienceinpublic 
>> Full contact details at?www.scienceinpublic.com.au
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Mobile Science Education 
>> [mailto:info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au]
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 3:37 PM
>> To: Niall Byrne; 'Lisa Bailey'; asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: RE: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> So the 2007 conference isn't really indicative of an ASC conference.
>> 
>> The money is only part of it, though. Even if the money weren't such 
>> an issue, it still takes the majority of the time made available by 
>> staff and volunteers; time used to benefit only a small minority of 
>> members who can afford the time and expense of the conference. If so 
>> much time, risk, effort and expense is benefiting only the minority 
>> then I would say priorities have been misplaced.
>> 
>> I would also question Nancy's assertion that "the biennial gathering 
>> of science communicators for a face to face meeting is crucial". Why 
>> is it crucial? Nothing on the posted list of Top 10 Reasons requires 
>> one. I agree that a decent national conference would be a good goal to 
>> work toward, but I would suggest that it's a goal that belongs to the 
>> larger organisation that ASC could be in the future. In the meantime, 
>> strengthen the base by focusing efforts at the local chapters and 
>> online. Make ASC such an attractive association that the eventual
> membership roll justifies the conference.
>> 
>> I would also second Rob's call to reconsider Julian's proposed Code of 
>> Ethics, or anyone else's proposals for that matter.
>> 
>> Lee Harrison
>> Mobile Science Education
>> ?
>> 0430 588 757 or (08) 8395 9586
>> info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
>> www.mobilescienceeducation.com.au
>> PO Box 556, Ingle Farm, SA 5098
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of 
>> Niall Byrne
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 1:46 PM
>> To: Lisa Bailey; asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> The 2007 conference was held jointly with AMWA and the World 
>> Federation of Science Journalists and attracted 620 delegates. There 
>> were a few other spin out activities.
>> 
>> There's potential for ASC to do similar things in the future with 
>> PCST, WFSJ, and others. Of course the first ASC conference was held with
> the PCST in 1996.
>> 
>> However, the 2007 conference was also a large undertaking with a total 
>> budget in excess of $1.2 million. Some of us involved in it took some 
>> big personal financial risks for which we were compensated when the 
>> dollars came in post-event. Many others put in a great deal of time.
>> 
>> Niall
>> 
>> ________
>> 
>> Niall Byrne
>> ?
>> Science in Public
>> 0417 131 977, niall at scienceinpublic.com.au Twitter scienceinpublic 
>> Full contact details at?www.scienceinpublic.com.au
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of 
>> Lisa Bailey
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 1:53 PM
>> To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> The 2007 conference did co-incide with a much larger international 
>> World Conference of Science Journalists didn't it?  Might explain why 
>> there was a bigger drawcard that year.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=11
>> 5
>> _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=11
>> 5
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 05:05:56 +0000
>> From: Rob Morrison <rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au>
>> To: Niall Byrne <niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>, Lisa Bailey 
>> <LBailey at riaus.org.au>, "asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au"
>> <asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au>
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed ... Code of ethics
>> Message-ID:
>> <3777103a67a54f6c9c68bb6c1c17ab01 at SIXPR03MB079.apcprd03.prod.outlook.c
>> om>
>> 
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>> 
>> Julian is quite correct in his references to his work on a code of 
>> ethics. The executive has (or, rather, several executives have), over 
>> the years, produced or nearly produced this code, as well as other
> guidelines and similar things.
>> I once prepared some guidelines for young Science communicators about 
>> how to put stuff on line, and a protocol for email distribution.  Both 
>> of these were on the ASC website for years, but would by now have been 
>> overtaken by technology and other changes.
>> 
>> Julian was not so fortunate. His was a good list, but in the nature of 
>> these things, discussion was protracted and when that extends over a 
>> year, there is always the chance that a new Executive comes in and 
>> loses track of what the past one has done. Things then get overtaken 
>> by new issues. From memory, this happened to Julian's suggestions, It 
>> also happened to a lot of work i had done on ASC approval and 
>> endorsement for short training programs, and it may have happened to
> others as well.
>> 
>> It is perhaps in the nature of an association like ASC that this 
>> happens, especially with volunteers all pressed for time, but it can 
>> mean that those who are prepared to put in a lot of work on something 
>> feel that they have wasted their time, and we are then less likely to 
>> have them prepared to act again.
>> 
>> I suggest Julian be invited to put his suggestions forward again (I am 
>> sure he still has them because he produced them on request for a 
>> previous exec)  and we decide to deal with them one way or another 
>> within a stated time frame. It will be too close to the AGM to deal 
>> with them this year, but they could be placed as an AGM item that we 
>> ask the incoming Committee to deal in one definitive way or another
> within 6 months.
>> 
>> The Exec list is always too long to get through, but this would give 
>> this issue a high priority which, in fairness to Julian, it should by now
> have.
>> 
>> Dr Rob Morrison
>> rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
>> Phone: (08) 8339 3790
>> Fax: (08)8339 6272
>> ________________________________________
>> From: ASC-list <asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au> on behalf of Niall 
>> Byrne <niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 1:46 PM
>> To: Lisa Bailey; asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> The 2007 conference was held jointly with AMWA and the World 
>> Federation of Science Journalists and attracted 620 delegates. There 
>> were a few other spin out activities.
>> 
>> There's potential for ASC to do similar things in the future with 
>> PCST, WFSJ, and others. Of course the first ASC conference was held with
> the PCST in 1996.
>> 
>> However, the 2007 conference was also a large undertaking with a total 
>> budget in excess of $1.2 million. Some of us involved in it took some 
>> big personal financial risks for which we were compensated when the 
>> dollars came in post-event. Many others put in a great deal of time.
>> 
>> Niall
>> 
>> ________
>> 
>> Niall Byrne
>> 
>> Science in Public
>> 0417 131 977, niall at scienceinpublic.com.au Twitter scienceinpublic 
>> Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of 
>> Lisa Bailey
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 1:53 PM
>> To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> The 2007 conference did co-incide with a much larger international 
>> World Conference of Science Journalists didn't it?  Might explain why 
>> there was a bigger drawcard that year.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=115 _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=115
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:07:48 +1030
>> From: "Mobile Science Education" <info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au>
>> To: "'Niall Byrne'" <niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>, "'Lisa Bailey'"
>> <LBailey at riaus.org.au>, <asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au>
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> Message-ID:
>> <00dc01cee1c4$d2b0ba00$78122e00$@mobilescienceeducation.com.au>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>> 
>> I agree that the conference is *potentially* powerful. But currently 
>> that potential is limited to a minority of ASC members - perhaps the 
>> rest may not feel like subsidising the networking opportunities of the 
>> few people who can afford to actually be there. And yes, subsidise is the
> word.
>> 
>> I also believe that the reason some smaller organisations successfully 
>> hold an annual conference is because they are more unified in what 
>> they do, have a tighter focus, and  the field has a longer history as 
>> a recognised profession - we do not have those advantages (see my original
> post).
>> 
>> I agree that it is a chance to engage with science leaders but, again, 
>> it is a chance for the few of us who can be there. Perhaps the rest 
>> would rather the money, time and effort were being spent elsewhere?
>> 
>> I'm not sure I agree at all about best practice because a) I haven't 
>> actually seen it (not being there, and all...), and b) who makes the 
>> determination of 'best practice' and on what metric?
>> 
>> The conference is indeed where some of us can engage with other 
>> groups. Not many of us, though - what about the rest of us? The 
>> conference can broaden horizons for some few of us, yes - but what about
> the rest of us?
>> 
>> Do you see my point? I am not, an any way, opposed to a national 
>> science communication conference. What I am opposed to is trying to 
>> pull one off with *such limited resources* on behalf of *so few* of 
>> our members and with such a low success rate.
>> 
>> Lee Harrison
>> Mobile Science Education
>> ?
>> 0430 588 757 or (08) 8395 9586
>> info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
>> www.mobilescienceeducation.com.au
>> PO Box 556, Ingle Farm, SA 5098
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Niall Byrne [mailto:niall at scienceinpublic.com.au]
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 3:26 PM
>> To: Mobile Science Education; 'Lisa Bailey'; asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: RE: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> I disagree. 
>> 
>> The conference is potentially incredibly powerful. I'd argue that as 
>> ASC grows it should become an annual conference. Many smaller 
>> organisations do so successfully including the medical writers.
>> 
>> It's where we can engage with science leaders for example for the 
>> coming ASC conference we'll have the opportunity to grill the head of 
>> the ARC and hopefully of the NHMRC and CSIRO on their priorities in 
>> science communication.
>> 
>> It's where we can engage with some of the best practice in the game.
>> 
>> It's where we can engage with other groups - for example the AusSMC 
>> and RIAus have often arranged for their board meetings to coincide 
>> with ASC conferences. And that's led to past and present SMH editors, 
>> Channel Nine news directors and others sharing their perspectives with us.
>> 
>> It broadens our horizons.
>> 
>> It enables collaborations. Three of our past conferences have been 
>> collaborations and I think our next one is a collaboration with SCANZ.
>> 
>> Several of the conferences have stood as milestones in science 
>> communication and I expect they will continue to do so.
>> 
>> Niall
>> ________
>> 
>> Niall Byrne
>> ?
>> Science in Public
>> 0417 131 977, niall at scienceinpublic.com.au Twitter scienceinpublic 
>> Full contact details at?www.scienceinpublic.com.au
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Mobile Science Education 
>> [mailto:info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au]
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 3:37 PM
>> To: Niall Byrne; 'Lisa Bailey'; asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: RE: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> So the 2007 conference isn't really indicative of an ASC conference.
>> 
>> The money is only part of it, though. Even if the money weren't such 
>> an issue, it still takes the majority of the time made available by 
>> staff and volunteers; time used to benefit only a small minority of 
>> members who can afford the time and expense of the conference. If so 
>> much time, risk, effort and expense is benefiting only the minority 
>> then I would say priorities have been misplaced.
>> 
>> I would also question Nancy's assertion that "the biennial gathering 
>> of science communicators for a face to face meeting is crucial". Why 
>> is it crucial? Nothing on the posted list of Top 10 Reasons requires 
>> one. I agree that a decent national conference would be a good goal to 
>> work toward, but I would suggest that it's a goal that belongs to the 
>> larger organisation that ASC could be in the future. In the meantime, 
>> strengthen the base by focusing efforts at the local chapters and 
>> online. Make ASC such an attractive association that the eventual
> membership roll justifies the conference.
>> 
>> I would also second Rob's call to reconsider Julian's proposed Code of 
>> Ethics, or anyone else's proposals for that matter.
>> 
>> Lee Harrison
>> Mobile Science Education
>> ?
>> 0430 588 757 or (08) 8395 9586
>> info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
>> www.mobilescienceeducation.com.au
>> PO Box 556, Ingle Farm, SA 5098
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of 
>> Niall Byrne
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 1:46 PM
>> To: Lisa Bailey; asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> The 2007 conference was held jointly with AMWA and the World 
>> Federation of Science Journalists and attracted 620 delegates. There 
>> were a few other spin out activities.
>> 
>> There's potential for ASC to do similar things in the future with 
>> PCST, WFSJ, and others. Of course the first ASC conference was held 
>> with the PCST in 1996.
>> 
>> However, the 2007 conference was also a large undertaking with a total 
>> budget in excess of $1.2 million. Some of us involved in it took some 
>> big personal financial risks for which we were compensated when the 
>> dollars came in post-event. Many others put in a great deal of time.
>> 
>> Niall
>> 
>> ________
>> 
>> Niall Byrne
>> ?
>> Science in Public
>> 0417 131 977, niall at scienceinpublic.com.au Twitter scienceinpublic 
>> Full contact details at?www.scienceinpublic.com.au
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of 
>> Lisa Bailey
>> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 1:53 PM
>> To: asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au
>> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Where is the ASC headed and top 10 reasons
>> 
>> The 2007 conference did co-incide with a much larger international 
>> World Conference of Science Journalists didn't it?  Might explain why 
>> there was a bigger drawcard that year.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=11
>> 5
>> _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=11
>> 5
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Subject: Digest Footer
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> ASC-list mailing list
>> list at asc.asn.au
>> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Ite
>> mid=115
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> End of ASC-list Digest, Vol 108, Issue 36
>> *****************************************
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:18:49 +1030
> From: "Mobile Science Education" <info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au>
> To: "'Claire Harris'" <claireharris.oz at gmail.com>, "'Rob Morrison'"
> 	<rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au>
> Cc: 'Asc List' <asc-list at lists.asc.asn.au>, 'JCribb'
> 	<jcribb at work.netspeed.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Top 10 Reasons You Should Join Australian
> 	Science	Communicators
> Message-ID:
> 	<003501cee1d7$21211ec0$63635c40$@mobilescienceeducation.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> For a reasonably accurate rundown of my take on the 'deficit model' try
> this:
> http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/05/17/spare-me-this-deficit-mode
> l-nonsense/ 
> 
> 
> 
> Lee Harrison
> 
> Mobile Science Education
> 
> 
> 
> 0430 588 757 or (08) 8395 9586
> 
> info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au
> <mailto:info at mobilescienceeducation.com.au> 
> 
> www.mobilescienceeducation.com.au
> <http://www.mobilescienceeducation.com.au/> 
> 
> PO Box 556, Ingle Farm, SA 5098
> 
> 
> 
> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au] On Behalf Of
> Claire Harris
> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 5:51 PM
> To: Rob Morrison
> Cc: Asc List; JCribb
> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Top 10 Reasons You Should Join Australian Science
> Communicators
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks Rob
> 
> That is very true. When I talk to people about ASC and ask them why they are
> involved, it generally boils down to relationships and connections with
> people.
> 
> 
> 
> I myself have been inspired by many ASCers over the years including Jenni
> Metcalfe, Tim Thwaites, Jesse Shore, Jo Savill, Liz Yuncken, Corinna Lange,
> Joan Leach, Sue Stocklmayer, David Ellyard, Helen Sim, Sarah Lau, Barbie
> McKaige... the list really does go on! 
> 
> 
> 
> Having a connection with individuals I have met in person (even years
> ago!!), but also others through the list (and wider network eg. #onsci), is
> probably one of the reasons I've stayed in this line of work - if it wasn't
> for the sci comm network I reckon I would have been off doing something
> else.
> 
> 
> 
> Sure, nothing is perfect, but it's been very worthwhile for me (clearly it
> has had to be for me and many others who contribute time volunteering,
> contributing to the web, Scope, list etc.!).
> 
> 
> 
> We've tried to capture some benefits here: http://www.asc.asn.au/membership
> <http://www.asc.asn.au/membership/>  
> 
> 
> 
> Cheers
> 
> Claire
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Claire Harris
> 
> A/g President, Australian Science Communicators 
> 
> ASC2014 Conference Organising and Program Committees
> 
> 
> 
> <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/
> 
> 
> 
> On 15 November 2013 18:07, Rob Morrison <rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
> <mailto:rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au> > wrote:
> 
> And, since ASC has now been going for decades, perhaps one could add
> mentoring of other science communicators. This has been a big factor. I
> benefited greatly from advice from some when I was changing track from
> academe, and I hope I have been able to help others. Given that we are such
> a diverse group, and people within it change direction, sometimes
> frequently,  between emerging technologies and media, we all grapple from
> time to time with how to do things. In that situation, mentoring is pretty
> important.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Dr Rob Morrison
> rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au <mailto:rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au> 
> Phone: (08) 8339 3790
> Fax: (08)8339 6272
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  _____  
> 
> 
> From: ASC-list <asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au
> <mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au> > on behalf of JCribb
> <jcribb at work.netspeed.com.au <mailto:jcribb at work.netspeed.com.au> >
> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 2:49 PM
> To: 'Nancy Longnecker'; 'Asc List'
> Subject: Re: [ASC-list] Top 10 Reasons You Should Join Australian Science
> Communicators 
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks Nancy. And one more. Maybe Number One:
> 
> 
> 
> To uphold the right of all humans to access to scientific knowledge.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Julian Cribb FTSE
> 
> Julian Cribb & Associates
> 
> ph +61 (0)2 6242 8770 <tel:%2B61%20%280%292%206242%208770>  or 0418 639 245
> 
> Email: julian at cribb.net.au <mailto:julian at cribb.net.au> 
> 
> Web: www.sciencealert.com.au/jca.html <http://com.au/jca.html> 
> 
> Skype: julian.cribb
> 
> 
> 
> From: ASC-list [mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au
> <mailto:asc-list-bounces at lists.asc.asn.au> ] On Behalf Of Nancy Longnecker
> Sent: Friday, 15 November 2013 12:41 PM
> To: Asc List
> Subject: [ASC-list] Top 10 Reasons You Should Join Australian Science
> Communicators
> 
> 
> 
> Top 10 Reasons You Should Join Australian Science Communicators
> 
> 
> 
> 1. Connect with a network of professionals from a wide range of science
> communication related fields
> 
> 2. Discover new ways to communicate science to benefit you and your audience
> 
> 3. Receive the latest news on research and events from the world of science
> and communication
> 
> 4. Gain useful knowledge and skills from presentations, workshops and
> discussion sessions
> 
> 5. Learn the art and science of communication through a professional network
> 
> 6. Establish professional and business contacts
> 
> 7. Enjoy access to great local and international scientists and
> communicators
> 
> 8. Be informed of the latest developments in communication, including
> technology and techniques
> 
> 9. Share your work, experiences and opportunities with a network extending
> through Australia and the world
> 
> 10. Join a group of people passionate about communicating the importance,
> relevance and excitement of science
> 
> 
> 
> This list of reasons to join ASC was produced when we had a very similar
> discussion years ago in the WA branch. My memory (not totally reliable) is
> that Brendon Cant drafted these and other members contributed. It's great to
> see that currently there is strong branch and national activity in ASC. At
> the time (early naughties), a small group of WA members was trying to
> reinvigorate a branch that was at a low point and in danger of total
> atrophy. One deeply embarassing moment for me personally was when a handful
> of members turned up for a guest speaker who was invited because he was a
> published science writer but had been in a rock band in the UK in a previous
> life. He graciously persisted but likened presenting to the ASC-WA branch to
> some of his early gigs when the band played to a pub manager and a few
> hangers on. Cringe. We persevered and membership doubled over the space of a
> couple of years.
> 
> 
> 
> The point here is: support your branch; support your national executive. Go
> along to things, even if you're tired and just want to go home. It won't
> happen in every instance, but you will get things out of participating.You
> may not realise how important your presence is to support those volunteers
> making the effort to organise things on your behalf. And you can always
> decide to get more involved, help organise something or even join the local
> committee.
> 
> 
> 
> I've used some of the tips for editing your own work suggested in recent
> list discussion to check for typos, but apologies if I didn't catch them
> all. ;)
> 
> 
> 
> Cheers, Nancy
> 
> 
> 
> Professor Nancy Longnecker
> 
> Science Communication
> 
> School of Animal Biology, M092
> 
> The University of Western Australia
> 
> 35 Stirling Highway
> 
> Crawley, WA   6009
> 
> 
> 
> ph: 61 8 6488 3926
> 
> nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au <mailto:nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au> 
> 
> 
> 
> www.animals.uwa.edu.au/research/science-communication
> <http://www.animals.uwa.edu.au/research/science-communication> 
> 
> www.facebook.com/pages/UWA-Science-Communication/139535189461853
> <http://www.facebook.com/pages/UWA-Science-Communication/139535189461853> 
> 
> skype: nancylongnecker
> 
> 
> 
> CRICOS Provider No. 00126G
> 
> ________________________________________
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ASC-list mailing list
> list at asc.asn.au <mailto:list at asc.asn.au> 
> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content
> <http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=1
> 15> &task=view&id=97&Itemid=115
> 
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.asc.asn.au/pipermail/asc-list/attachments/20131115/6e053875/attachment.html>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: image001.png
> Type: image/png
> Size: 8685 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <http://lists.asc.asn.au/pipermail/asc-list/attachments/20131115/6e053875/attachment.png>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ASC-list mailing list
> list at asc.asn.au
> http://www.asc.asn.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=115
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of ASC-list Digest, Vol 108, Issue 44
> *****************************************




More information about the ASC-list mailing list