[ASC-list] A couple of things on conferences and paying

Philip Dooley phildooley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 21:55:44 UTC 2013

Wow, a couple of lost weeks changing email addresses and moving continent
and look what's going on on the ASC list, whew. Life!

Over a few years of coordinsting NSW branch I have thought long and hard
about how to give members value for money when we consistently had single
figure attendance at events. And we actually accrued cash but couldn't find
enough volunteers to work out ways to spend it. :-)

Part of the reason i think is that a lot of members are not 100%
communicator, it might be only small part of their job, so its not a
priority to avail themselves of everything we offer. But every now and then
they might dip into the list, attend an event or be inspired by the fact
that there are othef people out there doing what they do.

Science communicators are a very varied bunch, some journalists, some staff
writers or PR or educators or museum staff. We can't please em all at
once.  But I agree with Susan , communication about communication is the
point of the organisation. This can be a formal 'event', or in a less
formal way, finding others to share with and learn from - aka Networking -
whihc can be scary, hard to achieve effectively, or annoying sometimes ,
but career-transforming when it comes off. The conferences for me
(especially my first one in coolangatta) have been absolute highpoints for
me.

So I think the role of the organisation is to provide a framework for those
new to the game, and to connect people so they can gain professionally.
How best to achieve these things are the challenges before us!

There's another question about advocacy to be answered too, do we have
enough clout to achieve anything?

Phil