[ASC-list] Past, present and future of ASC

Jess Tyler jessyorta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 05:10:30 UTC 2013

Daniel, that was eloquently put. It's a shame we lost you as a member!

I too, am thoroughly loving the debate about who we are. It is only through
this that we can move forward. I'd go so far as to suggest that this is
what we're about more than anything right now. We're still 'developmental',
even after so long, because we are asking these questions. The organisation
has to keep asking and shifting. In this context, benefit and value
propositions are going to be hard to pin down.

There is nothing wrong with the introspection, the debate, the diversity -
but there is something wrong if we can't harness it and move it forward.
Many organisations reach a crossroad where they need to take stock. This
needn't be frightening, confronting, nor should it put anyone in a position
of feeling that they've not done enough, or too much, or they're feeling
hurt....this is a genuinely healthy place to be, if you think about it.

I agree that we're not sure what we all have in common, us mongrels (love
it) and there is a valid reason for finding out what that is. Is there room
for us to look at different organisational structures? What are other
organisations doing? Is our traditional structure holding us back? Does it
leave all the work in too few laps? Can we crowdsource fund some special
projects? Are there potential partners out there we can't see for looking?

There are many roles the executive needs to take (besides the
administration): a memberships role to work on specific strategies to boost
memberships. Then there's a partnerships/sponsorships/alliance role, where
we can attempt to level the financial playing field. Then there's the
professional developer role to work with members on what they want, what we
can achieve with training, education, etc. Then there's an overall
 marketing/communications role..of course the list goes on, importantly
including a code of ethics or a charter of some sort.

Many, many moons ago I created the first ASC member directory. It was a
print thing and it was cross referenced around who worked where, what their
skills were, what they called themselves. At that point I felt that any
member could easily find out who others were. It was a painful task but
totally worth it.

As I've said before, as many others have, we've all tried different things
with varying results. It would be great if we could gather together our
collective wisdom, as we have been doing in this email trail, in a formal
way, as a 'census' of how ASC operates, what works, what people want.
Surveys are hard, but a good one is worth every bit of effort. So let's not
call it a survey. Let's call it a census and be positive.

I would be pleased to put a census together, with a project team, if people
that that was a good idea. Just to at least get a line in the sand on where
we're at.

Open to suggestions...or not.

Cheers

Jess Tyler