[ASC-list] Past, present and future of ASC

Teresa Belcher TeresaB at rangelandswa.com.au
Tue Nov 19 05:30:15 UTC 2013

Hi everyone

It's been interesting to follow the conversation on the list the last few days. In general, I just briefly glance at the list on a daily basis and rarely comment.

I believe that it's that diversity of backgrounds and interests of the members of the ASC that makes it such a great network. Within our membership (or indeed those following the list and not currently members), there is a wealth of knowledge and information out there. Someone can ask a question or advice and generally you will get answers.

I don't like to be pigeon-holed either. I might currently be working for a not-for-profit in a communication/PR role, but over the whole time since I joined the ASC (in Canberra somewhere around 1997) I've worked in outreach, as a science journalist, in corporate communications in industry, in the university sector and I've run my own science communication consultancy.

I was working in Europe for 10 years and on my return to Perth in 2010 (where I had not lived for 17 years), I found the ASC-network alive and well, joined, met people and made my network again from scratch. I joined the committee, and now I am President of the ASC-WA branch. It has been a most valuable resource, enabling me to meet great people who I can call upon for advice/support and hope that I can offer the same in return.

I am registered to attend the conference in Brisbane next year and I'm looking forward to it. It will be my first ASC one (I've been to PCST and WCSJ previously) as I am now in a situation where work will support my attendance and travel to it. I do think it's a great idea if we can have sessions filmed and people can contribute online if they aren't able to physically attend.

Interestingly, when I mentioned the ASC conference to someone I know through my communication of 'natural resource management' network, she was delighted to find that there was an Australian conference that was so much 'more relevant' than for example the PRIA (Public Relations Institute of Australia) conference that she was considering attending.

And yes, it would be great to introduce some Special Interest Groups for those who want to communicate more closely with those working in their field.

WA has been pretty active with events for members this year - we offer a diverse range of things from visits 'behind the scenes', to dinner discussions and talks and professional development workshops - some may appeal, some may not. I personally will try to attend most as you never know who you might meet and what you might learn along the way.

Cheers

Teresa Belcher | COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER

direct (08) 9468 8253
main office (08) 9468 8250
mob 0488 594 324

Suite 8, 125 Melville Parade, Como WA 6152
www.rangelandswa.com.au

Rangelands NRM WA is a not for profit, non-aligned community-based group which aims to facilitate collaboration and best practice in environmental management for land managers who want to achieve good natural resources outcomes.