[ASC-list] ASC2014 conference update

Claire Harris claireharris.oz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 04:51:35 UTC 2013

Hi ASC-list

There has been a lot going on behind the scenes for the Australian Science
Communicators National Conference 2014 (2-5 Feb). Thanks firstly to the
many people and organisations contributing to and sponsoring the
conference, from both in Australia and overseas.

We have some great featured speakers including Professor Ian Lowe (Emeritus
Professor of Science, Technology and Society at Griffith University), Dr
Susannah Eliott (CEO at Australian Science Media Centre), Drew Berry
(Biomedical Animator at Walter Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research)
and Natasha Mitchell (Journalist and Broadcaster, ABC)… More here:
http://2014conf.asc.asn.au/program/

Our draft program at a glance is online -
http://2014conf.asc.asn.au/schedule/ and will be filling out with more and
more details in coming weeks. We are also working with session producers to
create an informative and fun hub of extra stuff.

The conference themes are: Insight, Impact, Innovation. The sessions and
presentations will pick up on these themes as well as the additional
sub-themes of visualising our world, science communication research and
anniversaries.

As the ASC conference provide an opportunity for people from across this
vast land (and beyond) to present their research and case studies, we have
a range of interesting presentations covering aspects of social and online
media, education, outreach, theatre, publishing, citizen science,
contentious science and communicating risk, and evaluation. We have case
studies exploring sci comm in New Zealand and developing countries... and
more... For the first time we will have peer-reviewed papers published in
a proceedings.

For those who missed out on submitting abstracts to present, you can still
submit abstracts for posters: http://2014conf.asc.asn.au/presenters/

Oh and while we're at it - fancy being a cabaret star? Or showcasing your
sci-arty visualisation journey? Check out how to be part of these
activities, featured throughout the conference program and at the
conference dinner at the same (presenters) link above.

>From past conference feedback (and those registering telling us their
desires) we know that networking is a key aspect. We will have a speed
networking session on Monday night as well as an end-of-conference
networking session (so you can make sure you caught up with everyone you
wanted to). The conference dinner on Tuesday night will feature a special
dignitary speaker and the awarding of the Unsung Hero of Australian Science
Communication - nominations still open!!
http://www.asc.asn.au/blog/2013/10/31/unsung-hero-of-australian-science-communication-2013/

More social and special events? Why yes! Why not join us for a special
breakfast event - brought to you with the Science Communicators Association
of New Zealand – that will explore how science communication evolved in New
Zealand and Australia? More information about this and other special events
here: http://2014conf.asc.asn.au/schedule/special-events/ - note that
tickets are limited!

Professional development is something highly valued by attendees. We know
that conference go-ers in the past have wanted professional development
that caters across a range of levels including beginner, intermediate,
advanced levels. This is something the program committee has actively
sought out. Professional development will inhabit an entire stream/room and
includes: web development, storytelling, editing and more...

There is so much more still to come... like details on sessions, workshops,
social events, resources and online activity leading up to the conference.

Please stay tuned on Twitter (#ASC14) and register here:
http://2014conf.asc.asn.au/register/

We look forward to seeing you in Brisbane in February!

Wondering what ASC2012 was like? Check out this vid:
http://vimeo.com/44354826#at=10

If you have any questions about the conference program please email
program.committee at asc.asn.au and for registration enquiries please contact:
asc2014 at eventcorp.com.au.

Kind regards,

Claire

 Claire Harris

A/g President, Australian Science Communicators

ASC2014 Conference Organising and Program Committees

http://www.asc.asn.au/