[ASC-list] [Vic event] Panel discussion on responsible communication of science - Saturday

Dyani Lewis dyanilewis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 10:04:12 UTC 2013

*Panel Discussion: Communicating (and understanding) future technologies in
medicine*

ASC-Victoria is bringing together a panel of biomed researchers at the
Science, Technology and the Future (http://2013.scifuture.org/) conference
to look at how to responsibly communicate discoveries in medicine.

As technology changes the world, how do we keep the public on side? How do
we communicate the potential of transformative technologies without making
promises which can’t be kept? And, as members of the public, how do we
check the facts?

Join three scientists for a panel discussion on communicating the potential
and pitfalls of future technologies:

   - Associate Professor Megan Munsie (Stem Cells Australia) the role in
   managing our expectations of stem cell technologies. How much of what we
   know is fact?
   - Dr Melanie Thomson (biomedical researcher from Deakin Univeristy), and
   prolific tweeter on the frontiers in microbiology. Does Twitter help or
   hinder the communication of science?
   - Dr Martin Delatycki, Director of the Bruce Lefroy Centre of Genetic
   Health Research on what you get when you pay $99 for your genome? What is
   the future of personalised medicine and direct to consumer genetic testing?

The discussion will be deftly navigated by Dr Shane Huntington from 3RRR's
Einstein-A-Go-Go science radio show. If you've signed up for the
conference, this is a must-see session.

*Date*: Saturday 30th Nov, 3:30pm
*Venue*: Kaleide Theatre, RMIT University.
This session is being hosted by the Australian Science Communicators as a
part of the Science, Technology and the Future Conference, 30 Nov to 1 Dec
@RMIT University. Please note: There is a cost to participate in the
conference.
For more information and to register http://2013.scifuture.org/

See you all there!

--

*Dyani Lewis*, PhD
Freelance science writer and broadcaster
e: dyanilewis at gmail.com
w: www.dyanilewis.com