[ASC-list] [Vic event] Science, Technology & the Future Conference (Nov 30 - Dec 1)

Dyani Lewis dyanilewis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 03:48:27 UTC 2013

Science Technology & the Future Conference (http://scifuture.org/)

Nov 30 - Dec 1st 2013 <- put these dates in your diaries!

What will the future be like?

Right now, the technologies that we use to understand the world are in the
process of major transformation. With the immense promise of technological
advancement comes great challenges -- the foremost being how to sift
through the deluge of data to garner meaningful insights and translate them
into practical innovations. But we also need to examine how society will
cope with the technological changes taking place.

Come along and hear about what the future holds for medicine, engineering
and the Big Data projects that are becoming the norm rather than the
exception in science.

Speakers include:

Peter Doherty - Nobel Prize winning Immunologist,
Dr Scott Watkins - Team Lead of the Organic Photovoltaics project at CSIRO
David Pearce - Philosopher and Founder of the World Transhumanist
Association,
Professor Marcus Hutter - mathematical formalization of Universal
Intelligence,
Tim van Gelder - CEO & Founder of Austhink Consulting
Drew Berry - 3D Digital Biomedical Visualization at WEHI
Peter Ellerton - director of the University of Queensland Critical Thinking
Project

Visit http://scifuture.org/ to learn more.
--

Dyani Lewis, PhD

Freelance science writer and broadcaster
p: +61 405 182 678
e: dyanilewis at gmail.com
w: www.dyanilewis.com