[ASC-list] [Vic Event] Stem Cell Revolutions – Vision of the Future

Dyani Lewis dyanilewis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 01:43:28 UTC 2013

Stem Cells Australia and the Melbourne Neuroscience Institute invite you to
attend a special film screening:

Stem Cell Revolutions – Vision of the Future

Explore the realities behind the hopes and fears associated with stem cell
research. This award-winning documentary takes the viewer on a journey from
the earliest experiments that first revealed stem cells in the body, to the
latest scientific and clinical developments. In particular, it explores the
hopes and fears associated with stem cell research.

The film features eminent international scientists in stem cell research,
including 2012 Nobel Laureates Shinya Yamanaka and Sir John Gurdon, Nobel
Laureate Sir Martin Evans, as well as Sir Ian Wilmut, creator of Dolly the
sheep. Acclaimed novelist Margaret Atwood serves as a non-scientific
commentator in the film.

**Calling all science communicators!**
Join us for a panel discussion on where stem cell research is really at. We
will look at the challenges we face communicating stem cell research to the
public and how we balance hype and hope.

We are pleased to announce that Dr Elizabeth Finkel, Cosmos Editor and
author of the award winning book, Stem Cells: Controversy at the Frontiers
of Science, will join our panel of patient advocates and researchers for a
Q&A session to explore the challenges of communicating science to the
public.