[ASC-list] Proofreading your own writing

Vicki Burkitt vicki.burkitt at monash.edu
Mon Oct 14 21:58:35 UTC 2013

I try to do these things when proofreading large documents

   - Resist the urge to file work quickly and check as many times as is
   needed
   - Proofread section in one sitting (usually hard copy) in a quiet place
   during the time of the day when you are most alert
   - Look at different elements (captions, images, grammar, document style)
   in further readings (electronic version can be helpful)
   - Be consistent with spelling of words (American/English) - a style
   guide is helpful
   - Maintain drafts of proofed versions after document is published, so if
   errors are picked up later you can trace the source of the problem (graphic
   designer, you, other person)
   - Ask colleague to proof document
   - I don't do this but others swear by this, reading documents backwards
   to pick up typos
   - If you do pick up errors after you publish your work, correct the
   electronic file where ever possible

Vicki

On 15 October 2013 08:35, Mark Ragg <mark.ragg at raggahmed.com> wrote:

> Here's a few things I teach (and sometimes do).
> Give it time (so finish it early).
> Change the font and make it slightly larger, then print it out.
> Read it in a different room then where you wrote it, or outside, or in a
> cafe.
> Read it out loud.
>

> Mark Ragg
> Director | RaggAhmed
> Adjunct Senior Lecturer | Sydney School of Public Health | University of
> Sydney
> t +61 2 9818 8222 | e mark.ragg at raggahmed.com
> www.raggahmed.com

Vicki Burkitt