[ASC-list] Celebrating Australia's best science with the PM and Stories of Australian Science

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Oct 31 05:00:58 UTC 2013

Dear ASCers,

I hope you've been watching, hearing, reading and/or tweeting about Terry Speed and his fellow Prime Minister's Prizes for Science winners. Now I'd like to invite you and your organisation to celebrate the best of your science in Stories of Australian Science 2014, our annual magazine-style collection of science achievements.

Bookings are open now. We'll celebrate the best stories with journalists in December, go online in January and distribute the magazine in February 2014. Contact Margie on margie at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:margie at scienceinpublic.com.au> to find out how to get involved.

Now to this week's prizes.

Last night in the Great Hall of Parliament House, five of Australia's best scientists and science teachers received the 2013 Prime Minister's Prizes for Science.

The five prize recipients this year are:

*         Terry Speed, Prime Minister's Prize for Science - Fighting cancer by the numbers

*         Angela Moles, Frank Fenner Prize for Life Scientist of the Year - Understanding the world's plants with big ecology

*         Andrea Morello, Malcolm McIntosh Prize for Physical Scientist of the Year - Quantum computing becomes more than just spin

*         Sarah Chapman, Prize for Excellence in Science Teaching in Secondary Schools - Using a motor race to fuel interest in science

*         Richard Johnson, Prime Minister's Prize for Excellence in Science Teaching in Primary Schools - A teacher's laboratory becomes a primary source of inspiration

Read more about this year's winners at: www.industry.gov.au/scienceprizes<http://www.industry.gov.au/scienceprizes>

On Monday Ruth Bishop received the 2013 CSL Florey Medal for her role in discovering rotavirus, the cause of deadly diarrhoea world-wide.

Her work has saved the lives of young children worldwide and inspired a revolution in public health. The medal honours Australian researchers who have made significant achievements in biomedical science and/or in advancing human health.

Read more Ruth's work at: www.scienceinpublic.com.au/floreymedal<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/floreymedal>

Kind regards,

Niall

________