[ASC-list] Free ANZAAS talk, Melbourne, Wed 18th September 6:30pm - "What causes epilepsy? How genetics is transforming our understanding"

David Vaux D.Vaux at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Sep 10 01:03:58 UTC 2013

Free, all welcome (booking not needed) Bring your friends!

Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At GTAC, located in the grounds of University High School, corner Royal Parade and Story Street, Parkville (enter off Story Street or Royal Parade)

Wednesday 18th September 2013, 6:30 pm

Professor  Ingrid E Scheffer MBBS PhD FRACP

Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health,
The University of Melbourne,
Austin Health and Royal Children’s Hospital

"What causes epilepsy? How genetics is transforming our understanding"

 Until recently epilepsy, where seizures occur when abnormal electrical discharges fire in the brain, was thought to be due to a knock on the head. Little was known about the cause of most forms of epilepsy and the question of genetic factors playing a role was even disputed. The new gene-finding technologies are radically changing our understanding of the importance of genes both in the focal epilepsies, where seizures arise in a specific part of the brain, and in the generalized epilepsies where seizures have a generalized distribution. Exciting new genetic findings in focal epilepsies and the severe infantile and childhood epilepsies will be presented to show how they are transforming clinical practice.

 Professor Ingrid Scheffer is a paediatric neurologist who is helping to transform the diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy. She has described several new forms of epilepsy and her research group was the first to uncover a gene for epilepsy and subsequently, many of the genes now known to be implicated.

Forthcoming talks:

October 16th      Prof James Bowler, Geomorphology. University of Melbourne

November 20th  Prof Alan Cowman, New approaches to malaria. The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute

We are pleased to acknowledge the support by CSL and GTAC for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

Further Info:         David Vaux       9345 2941                davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com<mailto:davidlaurencevaux at gmail.com>

http://www.anzaas.org.au/victoria/